FM and weight gain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by courtney5771, Aug 14, 2003.

1. courtney5771

courtney5771 New Member

Has anyone experienced weight gain with FMS? I was dx 7 years ago and have gained 25lbs and feel like a pig. How are you supposed to lose weight when you feel too bad to exercise. I was always a size 4 or 6. Am I the only one this has happenend to?

hugs,
    Courtney
  2. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

I feel the same way. I think it's a combination of things with me. I have FMS which has changed my activity level unfavorably. Two of my pills have a side effect of weight gain, and I also have thyriod problems. I don't feel very good about myself either in that respect. When I'm looking at cute clothes I comment to myself "that doesn't come in size cow." I have heard of others complaining of weight gain also.
  3. courtney5771

courtney5771 New Member

Thank you for responding. I don't feel so alone and sad.
    I think the thyroid problem I have and the elavil started the weight gain for me too.

c
  4. Cycie

Cycie New Member

Weight gain

Count me in, diag 2yrs ago, put on easy 4 stone (56 lbs ??)
    No exercise and meds. The more I put on, the more depressed I get and the more I comfort eat...GGrrrrrr
    I feel like I am gonna burst and I don't ask for cow sizes,
    I ask for "extended camper van" or "Junior Missile" and they look at me like I am queer..who cares???????
    Take care and I wish you weight loss, Courtney.
    HUGS cycie from Aus (DOWN UNDER)
  5. wle

wle New Member

I have put on an amazing amount of weight in the past few years. Too tired to exercise and knees hurt too much to just walk. Now my Doc has me on amitriptyline and I am eating like a horse. Am going to ask for something different when I see him next week. I can't afford to gain another pound. I think the weight piles on because we are much less active. My hubby eats 3x what I do and he NEVER gains an oz. But he is VERY active. On the go from the minute his feet hit the floor in the am until he drops into bed at night. WLE
  6. Nana61

Nana61 New Member

I was diagnosed last year with FM/CFS but the doc put me on Paxil and Neurontin about a year ago. I've gained 25lbs. in a year and a half. I weighed 125 now it's 150 and I am way too fluffy.
    I've been drinking a lot of water and cuting way back on my food. I eat 6 very small meals a day, don't want my body to go on a starveation mode. I'm trying! Sure hope this works. I don't have the energy to do much excersizing, in fact none besides what I have to do around the house and I do gentle stretches. I could post this on the Chub Club Message Board, if we had one!
    Take care and try to have a good day. Remember, A smile works wonders. Jeanette
  7. Ugh I am thinking of going on aitkens, even tho' it is hard to stick I am sure, my friend lost 18 lbs in 10 days!! If she can do it, I CAN!
  8. LeslieG

LeslieG New Member

Where is that Miss Piggy icon???

Multi-meds, pain, lack of desire, and Plantar Facyitis (sp?), back and neck problems and pain AND the weight all keep me from attempting to loose.

Do your arms/hands, etc. fall asleep if you try to lift weights or do the machines?? That's a real downer, too!

I did loose 40 lbs about 5-6 years ago on the Charbohydrate Addicts Diet (similar to Atkins). You just have to get over a 2-week hurdle/withdrawl from the carbs and sugar during theday. Gained it all back from the DD and haven't really be motivated to try much else. Any suggestions?

Was given Topamax by my doc this week. He says it can be an appetite suppresant in addition to helping with the tremers and migraines.

My fingers are crossed!!!

Good luck to us all!

Leslie

9. libra55

libra55 New Member

I am 100 pounds overweight. I cannot believe how much weight I have gained over the last years. I was never a thin person, but after the birth of my last child, something in my body changed over. I started with the fatigue and pain, and did not have the energy to exercise any more. And of course the bigger you get the less you want to move as it is a vicious cycle. I was not diagnosed with fibromyalgia until I was 45 (I am now nearly 48). However the weight gain and symptoms began in my thirties.

I too have a Wal-Mart wardrobe. Elastic waist pants. When I find some that fit I buy them in every color imaginable. Big, baggy tops to go with them. Or T-shirts with dumb sayings on them.

I tried to walk for exercise and it hurt too much. I can't afford to join a pool, even the Y for that matter, because I do not work and my husband controls every penny. I have a pool in the yard but here in the Northeast I can only get 3 months out of it. I do swim a lot in the summer.

I am trying, very hard, to eat nutritious small meals and keep the junk out of the house. It is hard with teenagers. I want to go to work, even 4 hours a day, something that is not too physically taxing or stressful. I worry about who would hire a fat person. This is just depressing as I am a pretty woman with good solid business skills.

I can surely relate to all of this

Best wishes to all,
    Michelle
  10. cma331

cma331 New Member

Michelle,
    I could have almost wrote the same letter as you.....I flipped as i was reading it.......saying "thats me.".......Am i naive or what.....But i really do not know why this weight is just sticking to me.........meds; yes.......no exercize ; yes.......sedentary life; yes......
    I was so glad to read this topic......Cause all my CFS/fm friends have no weight problems......And it is getting me "down".....I am going to try hypnosis.......Anyone ever try that???
    Carole
  11. toots2

toots2 New Member

I would say many of us here have gained weight since being diagnosed. I certainly have and understand why. I can no longer exercise as I have too many trigger points and stretching those muscles ends up causing me too much pain. The medication I take also has a lot to do with it. Antidepressants will make us gain weight as do the pain medication too. When you go from being a very active person to someone who even has a hard time to walking down the street, we can only expect weight gain, especially as we get older. When I am tired I don't prepare meals like I should. Just grabbing something out of the fridge is so much easier. I am now trying to cut carbs and am finally losing, but it is very slow going for me as my metabolism is very slow (think this is a part of the FM) and I get discouraged easily. Just want you to know you are not alone. Toots
  12. todayisagift

todayisagift New Member

In total since I have had the symptoms about 6 years ago plus the weight of antidepressants I've gained about 60, it's so horrible, I wish it didn't happen but I am trying my best now to get the weight off, I hope I can do it
    -Megan
  13. Rosetta

Rosetta New Member

I have FM and an underactive thyroid. After years, I finally found a doctor that change my thyroid medication from unithroid to armour. I had tried to lose weight but no matter how hard I tried I could not loose. Every time I went to the doctor I would show a weight gain. I was so depressed I did not know when I would stop gaining weight. I kept telling the doctor that I was not eating very much but continued to gain weight. I was ignored. With the armour, I have been able to loose 26 pounds following weight watchers. It has taken me 23 weeks to loose that amount. I cannot exercise so weight loss is extremely difficult. I still need to loose about 15 pounds to get to my goal weight. Right now I am only loosing about a 1/2 pound a week. Weight watchers is the easiest diet for me to follow because I can eat a variety of food as long as I stay with the point system. The weight comes off very gradual but I do not have to go hungry. Losing weight has not helped my FM. I have been a bad flair for the past three weeks.
  14. Fibrosmile

Fibrosmile New Member

Dear Courtney.....i know how you feel ......last year i gained 60 lbs. i did'nt eat alot , but come to find out i was taking elavil to help me sleep.... when i found this out i told my doctor that i was not going to take it anymore ....so during this past winter i lost 50lbs. then in march they put me on neurontin 1800mg. a day .....we'll guess what i have gained the 50lbs. i had lost. i don,t understand why these doctors don,t tell us when some meds will make you gain weight because it,s harder on our bodies to carry this extra weight and we didn,t gorge our selves to get there and also we are depressed enough without making us feel worse about the way we look ....should,nt we make the choice to take the meds or not if we know they my make us gain weight......losing and gaining weight all the time could not be good for our bodies......hang in there Courtney you are not alone........love,Fibrosmile
  15. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I took Elavil (amitrypilene) for just one week and gained 3 pounds. I immediately called my doctor and told him I wanted something else. He switched me to Wellbutrin, but I also was taking Neurontin. This was pretty early in my search for FM treatments (I was diagnosed almost exactly a year ago), but after the diagnosis I noticed that I had gained about 10 pounds in the previous year. I know that was before my FM diagnosis, but I'd had pain for years; so I suspect I already had it.

Since my diagnosis, the weight has crept up another few pounds, partly because of the Elavil and partly because I find that due to other problems I'm dealing with, carbs seem to be the most satisfying food for me to eat (and the easiest for me to chew--not a minor thing given my current jaw problems).

I'm taking 300 mg. of Neurontin a day (200 mg at bedtime and 100 mg in the morning) and 100 mg of Wellbutrin with my first meal of the day (sometimes in the morning, sometimes not till 1 p.m.) My neurologist suggested that I reduce my Neurontin and increase my Wellbutrin, because he says Neurontin can cause myoclonus, which I get as part of my multiple sclerosis. I haven't tried that yet, as I hesitate to rock the boat.

My current regimen seems to be keeping my pain on an even keel. It's pretty well controlled with just the Neurontin, Wellbutrin, buffered aspirin and Extra Strength Tylenol, along with a TENS unit and Vick's Vapo Rub. I still have occasional bad days, but it's a lot better than it was.

Unfortunately, though, I'm still not sleeping well, and so I often feel tired. (For some odd reason, though, I sometimes find I'm forcing myself to stay awake until the wee hours, when I'm just about falling on my face. And when I *don't* do that, I uhave trouble falling asleep anyway.)

In any case, after reading about Neurontin possibly having weight gain as a side effect, I'm re-thinking the option. But has anybody found that Wellbutrin makes their sleep problems worse?

--Laura R.M.

16. courtney5771

courtney5771 New Member

Wellbutrin is a stimulant. It gives me energy to fight fatigue. I take 450- max dose. I have to take it all before 12 noon. I still do experience some problems falling asleep, but use restoril to sleep. Wellbutrin is supposed to decrease appetite and help loose weight.

Hugs,
    Courtney
  17. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Do you need to take Wellbutrin with food?

--Laura R.M.
  18. courtney5771

courtney5771 New Member

on my bottle, it says "if it upsets your stomach, eat some crackers or bread. I don't take mine with anything. They are now being marketed as a weight loss drug secretely.

C
  19. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi Courtney. I am pretty sure I have had FMS since I was about 10, I'm now 38. In all those years, I never had a weight problem. I was never underweight but a very healthty 125 pounds.

Being on anidepressants is what caused my weight gain, almost 100 pounds. You can only imagine how DEPRESSED I was being that big, when I never experienced being an overweight person before. A lot of people assume FMS is causing their weight problems, BUT I feel it's the medications that are given to them that cause this. A friend of mine also had FMS, but she never took antidepressants and she's at a good weight. When I got off those nasty drugs, I was able to lose the weight, but it was extremely difficult. I can't exercise like a normal person can, so I had to slowly take the weight off. It took 3 years just to shed 70 pounds. If you are taking any medication, it might be the reason for the weight gain. Most people might gain a little weight with FMS even if they aren't on any medications because of the pain and fatigue, but a lot of these drugs are the real problem. Hugs, Chelz.
  20. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

I won't let these doctors put me on meds that cause weight gain. If there pushy about it I go fine another Dr. they don't care. they had me on flexeril and I gained 5 pounds in about 5 minutes. I really needed the pain relief so I look for alternative meds. Soma is equal to flexeril and will not cause wieght gain and I take wellbutrin because of the low side effects.
    Lisa