FM/Arthritis-Hip

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by starla06, Aug 11, 2005.

1. starla06

starla06 New Member

Been awhile since i have posted but I try to check it every day. Just need to cry on shoulders a little. For the last 3 weeks my left hip has been hurting really bad. Went to the dr 2 weeks ago & put me on an anti inflamatory Went back today as it still hurt. The xray shows arthritis. Told the Dr kinda figured. Putting me on a steriod temp & mobic. Wish me luck

The pain can sure wear you out & that is on top of the Fibro pain.

Does anyone else experience this & if so what do you do to help it. Does anyone have any exericises you can suggest. Again thanks for listening.
    Lea Ann
  2. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Your condition sounds much like mine.

I suspect that I have artritis in my left hip.

The pain is different than the fibro pain.

I haven't had it ex rayed yet but will do when I vist my dr, next.

I wonder what it is with left hips?

I seem to remember others mentioning their left hips.

I exercise on a treadmill and it helps a bit.

I let the exercise go these past few days.

I am just too foggy and sluggish.

I got a new pain med. from my dr. and it has helped with the pain but now I feel like I am living in never never land.

Hope you feel better soon and thank you for letting me cry on your shoulder!! Denamay
  3. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Dear Lea Ann:

So sorry you are having so much pain. It can be crippling at times. I too had x-rays taken of my hips and it came back severe osteoarthritis. It is a pain that feels so deep and it is hard to make it feel better.

I can only tolerate Tylenol Arthritis (moderately helps). My husband rubs in some "Icey Hot" and some days I put a heating pad on it. Hot tub is ideal if you have one, If not just a regular tuba soak with hot water and some Epson Salt.

Good luck Lea Ann. I hope you get some relief. Let me know how you feel after trying some of this methods.

Soft hugs,
    Francey
  4. starla06

starla06 New Member

for caring & replying. tonight i am going to do the peroxide/epsom salt bath. I love them. they do help. WIll also get the prescript for medrol filled tonight & start on it.

Be nice if we could just find energy to deal with all this.

Hope all have a good day. I am going to try too even tho I am at work.

La Ann
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I don't feel like mine is in the joint though. I am going to be candid, ladies (and gentlemen). My pain is in the "saddle bag" area on my hip. I can rub there and it feels like a deep bruise.

It started out on my left side and has now moved to my right. This is bad news because I am a side sleeper and that is the side I sleep on. No matter how I try to keep OFF that side, I wake up on it from the pain, so I know I am turning that way in my sleep.

I usually have the bottom leg straight and the top leg bent, but straightening the top leg rolls me more onto my front and helps so I am trying to get my body to STAY that way!!

I had thought it was in the joint when it started on the left, but some poking revealed that it was higher up. It is a mystery because many people have mentioned this same problem.

I had a bad pain in my lower back on the right side that ushered in this left hip problem. I don't know what happened, whether I moved wrong and pulled something or whether the leg exercises I have been trying to do caused it.

Ben Gay 2 days got rid of the back pain, but the hip lingers on. I have not had an x-ray, but like I said, it does not feel like the joint and I can't afford to pay for an x-ray that shows nothing and I can take ibuprophen on my own to see if that helps.

Sonya
  6. starla06

starla06 New Member

area is where it hurts. You are right sonya. The area is deep in the muscle. I use flex all Plus which helps some
    Thanks again
    Lea Ann
  7. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Have you side sleepers tried sleeping with a pillow between your knees? That helps me, and also a heating pad.
  8. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

about the pillow. I will try it. I wanted to keep the heating pad on last night but was afraid to. I was thinking of a ThermaCare maybe.

Sonya
  9. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

about the icons. We need more..

Sonya
  10. Vada

Vada New Member

I have always had problems with my left hip. There were times in the past that it would "freeze up" and I would have to "crack it." I also am a right hip sleeper and when I attempt to sleep on my left side I am in extreme pain. Pillows do not help me since I can't get comfortable with them. Unfortunately for me I can't take anypain medicines and sleeping on a heating pad is VERY DANGEROUS OVERNIGHT!!!!!! LaVada
  11. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

My back and left hip hurts sometimes that I could cry. The back has hurt for years. On that side I had knee orthscopic and did not work so leg throws to left.

I just found out through Nerve Conduction tests and an MRI that I have scoliosis and spinal stenosis. That means that my spine has bent somewhat and the spinal column in vert. 3, 4, 5, and 6 is being pulled and twisted somewhat and nerves coming out from them are being pulled, thus pain

I know that isn't good news for you but that is always a possiblity.

I also have Osteoarthritis everywhere. I use ice/hot and it does help. Only don't get a bit in your eye like I did. Also a hot shower feels so good - I use a shower bench.

I also learned not to sit too long in one spot. Move around.

i like the pillow between my knees but mine is long enough so that my feet do not touch each other.

Gentle Hugs
  12. Thumper2214

Thumper2214 New Member

I too have hip problems. Mine mostly is the left hip. I thought I was the only one with that problem (hips).

My back hurts ALL the time I have osteoarthritis in my lower back and I have bulging disc. My muscles stay tight all the time.

I have problems climbing stairs because my muscles in my legs feel weak.

I have tried therapy but it bothers my hips.

I use the heating pad alot and it helps some.

I take vicoprophen for the pain. I try not to take them but the pain gets really bad.

I take Norflex for my muscles which I don't think is helping. I have taken 5 other kinds (not all at the same time) of muscle relaxers which made me sleep most of the time.

I was on Cymbalta for the FM but the Dr. took me off it because my liver enzymes are up.

I feel really pooped today and I have hurt so bad today I have just layed around and that makes me hurt even worse.

Hopefully tomorrow I will feel better.

Sorry if I bored anybody just wanted to talk mainly.
    Thumper.

13. summerskye

summerskye New Member

I had the terrible pain in the saddle bag area - which was bursitis. I could hardly get out of bed in the morning due to the pain. I would wake up in the night in pain. So I got one of those memory foam pads for my mattress and noticed an almost immediate relief. I've since doubled up and have two of these memory foam toppers and am sleeping 100% better. Try it.
  14. Thumper2214

Thumper2214 New Member

Please tell me where you got your memory foam pad. I will try anything to help.

I have the same problem getting out of bed. It's very painful.

Thanks Thumper
  15. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Starla06
    I see that you have hip pain. I have fibro and arthritis. My legs and hips hurt horribly! I am going to doc again to see if he can help. What is mobic? Is it pain reliever?
  16. starla06

starla06 New Member

Mobic is an anti inflamatory. Thur the Dr put me on Medrol for a week.- it is a steriod. Just what i need more weight gain. Will have to be careful. It is seeming to help but i have a terrible headache & stomach ache from taking them but if it will help.

I too have a memory foam on my bed. It does help but sometimes the pain just breaks thru. Also use pillow between my legs & magnet pad on bed. guess we will all try anything for some kind of relief.

Lea Ann
  17. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

with this pain today. Yesterday it was so bad I could not walk or sit without pain. I finally put some Ben Gay on and was sitting on a cushion in church and took 4 Advil.

By the time church was over, it was better but woke me up again last night. Maybe sleeping on it is what is making it worse.

I do know today I feel the tender point in my lower back spreading over to the "saddle bag" area and it is tender over there.

Sitting in my office chair is painful, but thankfully I still had my cushion from church in my car and am sitting on that. That is some better, but I just put more Ben Gay on and took more Advil.

Hubby hates the smell of Ben Gay, but loves to say "been gay long?" when I say it!!!

If anyone has any suggestions, you know I would be grateful.

Sonya
  18. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Are you able to do any stretching? I have a lot of hip pain and there are a couple of stretches that help. The one that helps ME the most is this:

1. Lie on your back and raise (bend) your knees

2. Put one ankle acroos on the opposite knee.

3. Pull knee gently toward the opposite shoulder.

Hold the stretch for a few seconds. I do a count of 10, and 8-10 repetitions.

I do have a sleeping pad that cuts off automatically in about 30 minutes. I sometimes do use it at night when I am in pain. I don't lie on it, but do drape it across my hip.

19. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I had forgot that I had asked the question!! I have been really in a FOG lately. I will read all the posts as I go back to my Doc next Tuesday.

Thanks...
    Mari
  20. Beckula

Beckula New Member

A while ago, I developed bursitis in my hip and it really did hurt so much I could barely walk. I hope that it feels better asap. Epsom Salt baths helped mine feel better. If you need more info about that, type in "epsom salt" in the the search and it might pop up.