FM Article/ProHealth Library(Cytokines)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by jaminhealth, Mar 16, 2013.

1. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

Evidence Fibromyalgia Is an Immune Problem

(65 votes)
    ProHealth.com • January 13, 2013

Rate: 12345

previous article next article
    This study demonstrated that fibromyalgia patients have unique immunologic traits – evidence that fibromyalgia may actually have an immunologic basis rather than rheumatologic or neurologic as once thought.

The researchers also developed a novel test protocol, which they suggest may be useful as a tool for diagnosing fibromyalgia.

[Note: You may read the full text of this article free HERE.]

Article:

Unique immunologic patterns in fibromyalgia
    – Source: BMC Clinical Pathology, December 17, 2012

By Frederick G. Behm, et al.

Abstract:

Background: Fibromyalgia (FM) is a clinical syndrome characterized by chronic pain and allodynia. The diagnosis of FM has been one of exclusion as a test to confirm the diagnosis is lacking.

Recent data highlight the role of the immune system in FM. Aberrant expressions of immune mediators, such as cytokines, have been linked to the pathogenesis and traits of FM. We therefore determined whether cytokine production by immune cells is altered in FM patients by comparing the cellular responses to mitogenic activators of stimulated blood mononuclear cells of a large number of patients with FM to those of healthy matched individuals.

Methods: Plasma and peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) were collected from 110 patients with the clinical diagnosis of FM and 91 healthy donors. Parallel samples of PBMC were cultured overnight in medium alone or in the presence of mitogenic activators; PHA or PMA in combination with ionomycin. The cytokine concentrations of IFN-?, IL-5, IL-6, IL-8, IL-10, MIP-1? , MCP-1, and MIP1-? in plasma as well as in cultured supernatants were determined using a multiplex immunoassay using bead array technology.

Results: Cytokine levels of stimulated PBMC cultures of healthy control subjects were significantly increased as compared to matched non-stimulated PBMC cultures.

In contrast, the concentrations of most cytokines were lower in stimulated samples from patients with FM compared to controls. The decreases of cytokine concentrations in patients samples ranged from 1.5-fold for MIP-1? to 10.2-fold for IL-6 in PHA challenges.

In PMA challenges, we observed 1.8 to 4-fold decreases in the concentrations of cytokines in patient samples.

Conclusion: The cytokine responses to mitogenic activators of PBMC isolated from patients with FM were significantly lower than those of healthy individuals, implying that cell-mediated immunity is impaired in FM patients.

This novel cytokine assay reveals unique and valuable immunologic traits, which, when combined with clinical patterns, can offer a diagnostic methodology in FM.

Source: BMC Clinical Pathology, December 17, 2012. By Frederick G Behm1, Igor M Gavin2, Oleksiy Karpenko2, Valerie Lindgren1, Sujata Gaitonde1, Peter A Gashkoff1 and Bruce S Gillis1. 1 Department of Pathology, University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), Chicago, IL, USA. 2 Research Resource Center, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA. E-mail: bsgmd@hotmail.com

This is all so scientific but this Cytokine issue is a major
    one with this theory.

The cytokine issue is discussed here:

anatabloc.com/.../differentiating-anatabloc-from-other-nutritional-ant...

[This Message was Edited on 03/16/2013]
  2. jaminhealth

Just reading from a doc's site here in Orange Cty, Ca. and he talks about auto immune conditions like RA, Sjorgens, AS, Type 1 diabetes, Hashimotos, Lupus, Psoratic Arthritis, and more and then goes on to say:

First and foremost, autoimmune conditions are one of the most mistreated and misdiagnosed conditions he sees in his practice everyday.

And that auto immune conditions are at the center of the Fibromyalgia diagnosis, the Chronic Fatigue diagnosis, and the Chronic Pain diagnosis among others.

Very interesting....and along the same lines as mentioned above...he goes on to talk about, fatigue, depression, pain,
    inflammation and more.

[This Message was Edited on 03/17/2013]
  3. jaminhealth

arthritis.about.com › ... › Symptoms / Diagnosis › Inflammation

Cytokines can be classified as proteins, peptides, or glycoproteins.

Here is Mikie's peptides...ummmmmm.

[This Message was Edited on 03/17/2013]
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

are protein messengers of the immune system produced by most cells of the body.
    Each cytokine/chemokine is produced by a gene within the cells DNA and travel in the cell to the cell membrane which will released on a cue. Each cytokine has a target "receptor" on another cell, which could be a B-cell or a T-cell etc.

A chemokine is a special very small type of cytokine which is "chemotactic" ie the more that are released the more some "receptive" cells accumulate ie are attracted by the chemokines.

For example natural killer cells (NKC) are activated by various cytokines, eg. IL-2, IL-15, IL-15RA. The NKC's have various different receptors for the cytokines and these receptors are "tags" which tell us what state the NKC is in and what it is doing. This is very important in ME/CFS research because the NKC is dysfunctional in ME/CFS in one of its forms (the NKC bright cell with marker CD56)

CD56(bright) cells are those mainly involved in IFN-gamma production and IFN-gamma over-production is what causes the depolarization of the mitochondria which in turn causes many energetics and oxidative stress problems in ME/CFS. This immunological problem in ME/CFS explains most, but not all symptoms of ME/CFS.

Some cytokines are described as being PRO-inflammatory because they trigger inflammatory responses in various tissue including nerves. There are also anti-inflammatory cytokines which modulate the pro-inflammatory cytokines. Generally in ME/CFS and FM there is an excess of some pro-inflammatory cytokines particularly after exercise AND whats more, the anti-inflammtory cytokines are not modulating them very well so the "malaise" continues for many hours or days. This is also what may be causing the stiffening responses in FM a common FM symptom which occurs particularly over-night. Which I believe also leads to some osteo-arthritic problems in people with FM after many years, particularly affecting the spine.[This Message was Edited on 03/17/2013]
  5. jaminhealth

get it out of my mind that there is a correlation between the peptide therapy and this anatabloc therapy, cytokine talk is in these both.

Ian, the info you posted talks about "malaise" I know a member here
    talks about Malaise and she deals with CFS...

There is some info online re: CFS and Anatabloc (Anatabine)[This Message was Edited on 03/19/2013]