FM & broken wrist questions!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FMHoosier, May 12, 2003.

1. FMHoosier

FMHoosier New Member

How does having FM affect the healing process of cracked bones? I cracked my right wrist 10 days ago & have a cast (knuckles to elbow). So far, I've noticed that my skin seems to "crawl" & itches horribly beneath the cast (still a lot of swelling, especially in p.m.). Have been taking Skelaxin, Nuerontin & Darvocet for the FM; have been alternating Tylenol 3 w/codeine & the Darvocet for pain, plus take 1 Oxycontin @ bedtime for extra pain.

Does it take longer for the healing with FM? Is there a longer recovery (therapy) time after the cast comes off?

Would appreciate any comments or suggestions that anyone could give. I'm a Cosmetologist w/my own business & it's going to be a LONG 8 weeks!!

Thanks!
    FMHoosier (Nancy)
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

About four years ago, I slipped off the steps of a boat dock and dangled by my right arm. It snapped the distal bicep tendon, a very serious injury requiring a big deal surger with two incisions and drilling into the bone. I was in a splint/cast for six month and it took a full year to heal.

Right after the surgery, I told the doc that it felt like ants running around in my arm. He said, tongue in cheek, "Madam, I assure you, I did not put ants in your arm." I know that a little children's Benadryl helps with the creepy crawly feelings in our skin. I don't know whether or not it will help you.

BTW, I was an independent insurance agent and my sole support, so I had to learn very quickly to write with my left hand. You will be very surprised at how much you can do if you see this as a challenge and get creative. My Mom made a chain with a large safety pin on one end. I used it to pin to the zipper in the back of my dresses and pull on the chain to zip it up. I learned to style my hair with one hand and became adept at putting on my makeup left handed. Today, I am almost ambidexterous or at least, I can get by with either hand. I still do crossword puzzles left handed from time to time just to keep the brain exercised. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  3. Frogdogger

Frogdogger New Member

I broke the metataursal(?) bone in my right hand 3 summers ago. That's the big bone on the outside of your hand. The pain factor was horrible. The way they cast my type of break is to bend the baby finger and the ring finger to touch the palm of the hand. I was cast all of about three days like this and it was excruciating. I couldn't take this awkward position. We ended up using a splint like they wear for carpal tunnel. The pain was still worse than normal. I didn't think to mention my fibro to the ortho until the very end, then he says "Well, now you tell me, no wonder!" So maybe I could of gotten better drugs, I don't know. So now I know that injuries are probably worse for us. Because I was using a "soft" cast we left it on another week or so.
  4. FMHoosier

FMHoosier New Member

I appreciate your answers. I am lucky in that I have always been somewhat ambidextrous--guess you learn to use both hands doing hair!! I go in the a.m. for x-rays. I have been twisting in my cast, so am afraid he's going to want to put one on above my elbow. At least now I can get a fly-swatter handle down in there to scratch!!

I do take Benedryl periodically for the itch, but I'm always so leary of mixing too many meds.

I will hang in there & 8 wks. will go by faster than I imagined it would! Again, thanks for the answers & support!