FM, CFS AND CFIDS?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tes, Nov 1, 2002.

1. tes

tes New Member

Can anyone please explain to me the difference between fm, cfs and cfids. Much appreciated. I've only heard of fm and cfs.

Gentle hugs,
    Tes
  2. tes

tes New Member

Can anyone please explain to me the difference between fm, cfs and cfids. Much appreciated. I've only heard of fm and cfs.

Gentle hugs,
    Tes
  3. sb439

sb439 New Member

CFIDS (chronic fatigue immune dysfunction syndrome) is a posh name for CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) which has been coined in order to make clear that people with CFS are not just tired, but also have something wrong with their immune system (among various other things). See Spedding's adorable post "noone really understands", but substitute CFS for FM, then you get a good idea why ID was added. Even doctors tend to think CFS means being just tired.
    love,
    Susanne
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I respectfully disagree (with an open mind). I remember reading among other things, that CFS patients have lower than normal cortisol output in the face of stressors, while FMS patients have higher than normal cortisol output. The book to read about the differences is Osler's Web. It is a complete look at CFS,and at 700+ pages it ought to be! It reads like a mystery story and I couldn't put it down, and I don't even have CFS (I have FMS).
    Klutzo
  5. Roxi

Roxi New Member

In Europe they say we have ME..myalgic encephalitis..brain inflammation probably due to a virus. I think they're right. Don't we all feel like we have a permanent flu? And as we all react differently to the "flu" we get labeled differently, CFS versis FMS, when we all really have the same thing. And there are 5 million of us! It's not in our heads and we don't need herbs, we need a cure!