FM/CFS and neurotransmitter depletion

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by claudiaw, May 16, 2006.

1. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

After all the studying my husband and I have done, i really think a big part of our health issues are related to neurotransmitters.

i noticed a few post's today on that, so I assume other's feel the same ( that's why i think many have depression and even if they don't they find relief w/ anti-depressant's though they have side effect's).

I would like to know what supplement's besides Amino Acids do you think balance our neuro's the best?

I like many can't afford a ton of supplement's, I'm trying to narrow it down to save money.

So far NADH seem's to work on several. I don't think it work's on GABA receptor's though.

Curious as to what you think.:)

Thanks,
    Claudia

2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Thanks for responding.

It is 5=HTP that increases seritonin. NADH is suppose to do that too.

So far i think NADH is the way to go, it seem's to help most neurotransmitters.

Thanks,

Claudia
  3. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I tried NADH. However, the price is exhorbitant.

I think I have derived the same benefit, for a lot less money by upping my Co-Enzyme Q to 100 mg/day.

Both are "facilitators" of the Krebs Cycle, which converts glucose to ATP (the cellular energy molecule).

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I believe I was reading L-Theanine works on GABA receptors.
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I tried NADH a few years ago and to take enough to get any effect, it cost $70 a month. It worked great for about 11 days, my energy was wonderful and then it stopped working. I would have kept paying that $70 if it had kept on helping me because I felt so good.

I started taking 5-htp about 2-1/2 years ago and it does help with sleep, helps produce serotonin. I buy it from Swanson Vitamins (on-line) which has good products at good prices. I think it helps my mood too. I take it in the morning on an empty stomach (50 mg. twice a day)

I also take l-theanine which helps the brain produce GABA, it is calming, I take it before bed. I used to take pure GABA, but read somewhere that l-theanine was more easily absorbed.

Mary
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

it's very economical too. Now brands sells it for about $12 for 100 - 500 mg capsules.

Pantothenic acid builds the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, key to brain and muscle function. It can take away that foot pain so many suffer from too, and aid in mood and memory.

I've also used l-glutamine for brain function when I quit smoking and I felt like the world was sideways. it helped alot. Body builders take it for muscle enhancement, and it's also used to rebuild the gut lining, another key for us w/ IBS, leaky gut and malabsorption.

If you are looking for something to work on GABA, how about GABA? It's a sure thing, and glutaminic acid builds GABA too, and may be gentler than using straight GABA.

I think taking an amino acid blend can be a good idea too, since so many of us suffer from malabsorption. I take a great multi taht includes a glandular blend and amino blend as a base. It's called Carbosyn, and suits my special needs well because I have runaway candida and problems w/ carbs, and it includes high amount of chromium too for proper insulin metabolism. So many of us tend to hypoglycemia. i do too, but not if I get enough chromium.

Jeanne
  7. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I have used all those mentioned, I am hoping to narrow it down to one if possible.:)

NADH is expensive, but does seem to work on most neurotransmitter's.

I may try a higher dose of CO Q-10, but did that just increase your energy? I know that's what people use NADH for.

My best bet may just be the amino's.

I'm alway's on the lookout for something that will help, similar to prescription med's without the side effect's.

Thanks again you guy's for your input.:) I will try each one a month at a time and see.:)

Claudia
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Eleven years ago, he told me that he thought CFS/FM was due to neurotransmitter disfunction and I've read a lot of things since that make me agree with him. When our neurotransmitters aren't functioning as they should, we're more prone to disease, stress, emotional wear and tear. Altogether that spells CFS/FM to me.

There's a book called Why Don't Zebras Have Ulcers? that is an excellent resource if you want even more information. I've recommended it here before. In spite of the cutsy title, it's very scientifically written and supports this theory.

As for neurotransmitters, we must remember that serotonin is just one neurotransmitter out of many.... For example, most SSRIs deal with serotonin. Wellbutrin works on dopamine but it's all about finding the right balance.

I tried 5-HTP. It made me feel better one day and very hyper the next. I suspect it's all in the dosage but I prefer capsules for digestibility and they can't easily be divided. Let us know what you find.

Marta
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

The book "The Edge Effect" is all about neurotransmitters. It isn't specifically directed at FM/CFS, though. It's about brain chemistry in general.

There is a test in the book that you take and determine which is your dominant nature and which you are deficient in. He talks about four main neurotransmitters: GABA, acetylcholine, serotonin and dopamine.

There are different diet suggestions, drug suggestions, and other suggestions, depending on what you are dominant/deficient in.

I hope I'm telling this correctly. I have a raging headache, and am not thinking very clearly.

I checked it out from the library. It's worth a look.

10. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

and I am not overstating to say that I feel a million times better . I AM NOT CURED (!) BUT , I do not feel so spacey that I am nervous driving . I am much more alert ,THANK GOD!!

My spirits are soooo much better. I do not feel like crying . I am having some positive thoughts and even have signs of intrinsic motivation again .

I am taking a very low dose of tyrosine and L phenylalinine in the AM. I take it with VIT B6 , and on an empty stomach . These are best for absorption .

I am also taking a combo amino acid by twinlab . Twinlab is a good product , but there are others that are also good .

One of the other members ( GOD BLESS HER FOR SHARING!) says she takes the NOW brand amino acid wafers , and they help her a lot even though they taste yukky .

It is best to take most aminos on an empty stomach , and
    NOT eat any protein around the time you take them .
    Taking with VIT B6 assures absorption .

I found great info on aminos ( esp for depression / fatigue/ brain fog? ) when I googled the name of this book : "The Way Up From Down" (&) Dr Priscilla Slagle
    amino acids .

I am taking 500 mg tyrosine , 500 phenylalinine .
    These help make dopamine and serotonin, because I also take low dose AD's , I will not take a higher dose . But I am having no side effects or problems , and I am in a much better place than I was a week ago!

I thank God for this board , and I thank Him for amino acids ! These are WELL WORTH MY MONEY!!!!!!
  11. elliespad

elliespad Member

Amino Acids! It's the best way I know of to boost Neurotransmitters.
  12. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I can't tolerate aminos; too strong for me and have to watch my acidic ph. But used to take them years ago, and they were helpful.

Neurofeedback (google), but you have to find a good
    practitioner as it's the new brain treatment out there.

I've boosted my acetyl/dopamine; now working on serotonin & GABA. I had to stop taking all my supplements, as most of them were boosting my acetyl which lead to many of my symptoms.

I've added 5HTP, and that helps midnight awake hours, but need more serotonin.

LIGHT**********carole