FM/CFS and WEIGHT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kch64, Dec 31, 2005.

1. kch64

kch64 New Member

It seems like I can't lose weight anymore. Have any of you experienced that?

I lose two to four pounds, and then it seems it comes right back. I really need to lose it for my health more than anything.

I need to lose a lot of weight. Are any of you in the same boat?

2. desertstars

desertstars New Member

I started on Effexor after my initial diagnoses in April and have gained 35 -40#. I am careful about my diet and am exercising in moderation ( when I feel up to it). I lost over 100 # more than five years ago and know what needs to be done,regardless of that I stay where I am now.
    Has anyone else found a treatment that allowed them to maintain a healthy weight?
  3. kch64

kch64 New Member

I need to lose a bunch. What did you do to lose the 100#?

I'm not on any meds except my thyroid. I've recently lost 3 pounds, and am hoping with all my heart (hahaha) that it stays gone and more goes with it.

K.
  4. FightinPain

FightinPain New Member

I have gained over 60 lbs since I was diagnosed with FMS. I weighed 135 and started gaining weight. I now find it impossible to loose. Any suggestions?
  5. kimbadee

kimbadee New Member

I just posted a new topic regarding Mirapex, the Parkinsons drug that looks promising for fibro symptoms. I have read some great things about it and wanted to know if anyone here has had any experience.

One confirmed side effect...you guessed it WEIGHT LOSS!

I am thinking about giving it a try. Anyone have any experience?

I am new here.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/31/2005]
  6. kch64

kch64 New Member

7. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

after my daughter was born, and my FM (waiting for diagnose) too. I've been 127-30 my whole life and lost easily on attemt, now I'm hopelessly stuck on 154-8. It seem this stuff messes with metabolism too, huh? I mean, 2 previous preggos before my daughter was born, and being 130'is for 37 years. It doesn't make sense, I don't think it got an iota to do with "age" like most docs would dismiss it as. It came on during a 3-4 month period too, unusual. No fun, for sure! More replies would be great! And howabout the guys on this board, did this come about for you too?
  8. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

...it seems that no matter what I do I can't lose more than 5 lbs or so. Earlier this year I went on a Candida Diet for 4 months...no sugar, only fruit was apple, only grain was oats, nothing with mold (no vinegar, mushrooms, pickles, etc.). I lost 8 lbs. and that was it. I've added some grains and other foods, but no sugar/white flour/alcohol and I eat very little..don't have much of an appetite. My weight won't budge. I can't exercise much..a little walking, that's it.

Yes, it would be good to hear from others to see if this weight situation is related to FMS/CFIDS.
  9. kch64

kch64 New Member

10. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Its so hard to lose with Fm/CFS. I have gained 60 pds since being so sick with this. One CFS expert said the average person gains 30 pds with this. It must slow down our metabolism to a crawl. Our cells are not working properly so I suppose it doesn`t handle fat normally either. Its sure a double wammy on our self-esteeem.

Sandy
    [This Message was Edited on 01/01/2006]
  11. Mamalovinit

Mamalovinit New Member

I am in the same boat. My weight was around 130 for ever. I ate normally and had sweets. Now I weigh 175 and don't eat as much and I have even stopped sugar and most carbs.

What to do?

M
  12. kch64

kch64 New Member

It seems very strange to me. I wonder why this is happening? I'm on thyroid hormone so I don't think it's that.

Maybe someone somewhere will figure it out. Its very frustrating.

13. dazedconfused

dazedconfused New Member

I have always been a very thin person and had to struggle to keep weight on me. I am 5'6" and I weight 123# before I started having problems. Now I am 149#. I didn't even weight this much the 3 times I was pregnant. I can't get it off. I will lose 3 or 4 # and then it is right back on me. I think this is why my knees ach, from the extra weight, they are not use to. Help!
  14. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Since being Dx in 2003, I have gained 7-8 pounds. Granted I eat when I should not, at times, but nothing to add up to this whale I feel I've become.

I needed to lose 30 pounds that my bipolar meds helped put on, and now this. I was slender from my late teens and started putting on weight in my mid thirties. I am now 49.

I too can loose weight, only to eat the same way and gain back four lbs. overnight.

More exercise is needed. It tires me out for days after one walk.

What is going on here?

Kim
  15. Remnant

Remnant New Member

I have an embarrassing amount of weight to lose. I got really sick a few months ago, with a mysterious inflamed esophagus and I could not eat. I drank tea; sometimes I ate brown rice, and lived this way for 2 weeks. I lost 30 pounds.

When my esophagus retuned to normal… I gained it all back. If I had been able to resist returning to my old eating habits, I’d still be losing. NOT EATING really does work. I just can’t live that way.
  16. LostHearts

LostHearts New Member

I'm sorry to be so dumb, but what is a CPAP machine?
  17. kch64

kch64 New Member

A CPAP machine is a positive airway machine used by people who have sleep apnea (stop breathing while sleeping).

When they use the machine it helps them to get the proper oxygen while they sleep. If they don't use it, their oxygen levels drop very low and their blood pressure and other vitals increase to dangerous levels.

Kendr
  18. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Many moons ago, I never had a problem with losing weight. I could drop 5 lbs over a weekend and keep it off.

20 years later, here I am trying to lose 20 lbs (I know I'm lucky it's not more than that) and it doesn't matter what I do, the most I'll drop is 4-5 and then its back to where it likes to stay (155). I've had to drastically reduce my food consumption just to stay there.

I charted a diet a couple of months ago where I took in no more than 1200 calories a day. I lost nothing! Go figure.

I do believe it's a combination of factors. Medications, less exercise due to pain, additional illnesses (was diagnosed with hypothyroidism early last year) and the strange cravings I get for sugar and carbs.

I learned about Mirapex and asked my Dr about it. He said he didn't want to put me on it due to the awful side effects and potential damage to the liver considerating all the other meds I take.

I think I'm just going to have to learn to like my new weight and just not go up any more!

Regards,

Eileen
  19. ksc

ksc New Member

my rhumy told me that some people have started having compulsive behavior from mirapex. this is something to watch out for. i've been on it over 2yrs. i've started to slowly cut my dose back to see how low i can get without everything coming back.
    kathy
  20. MKlady

MKlady New Member

...with hormone treatments. Thyroid (T3/T4), cortisol, DHEA, pregnonolone and testosterone. Then anti candida diet strictly for 10 weeks - lost 21 pounds and now have added back in fruit and whole grains and have stablized. Sure hope it stays off!!