FM & CFS, now myofascial pain? What's that?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Susie1, May 2, 2003.

1. Susie1

Susie1 New Member

I have FM & CFS but have started having new symptoms. Is it myofascial Pain? I don't understand what that is. It feels like I'm having a heart attack but tests say no. Some say may be anxious but don't feel anxious or nervous. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for help!

Susie1
  2. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

For more replies
  3. jolly

jolly New Member

I used to post this information all the time, but got few people that actually paid attention. Myofascial pain is referred pain, which means that you hurt in one place, but the source is in another place. There's an absolutely wonderful book that can get rid of so much pain. It's less than $20 and so worth it - "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies. It's like a medical book for dummies, full of diagrams, shaded spots where it hurts and exactly where to massage for relief. This is something you can do yourself, in the privacy of your home, and doesn't cost you anything but the cost of the book. Could not recommend it higher. I know I sound like an infomercial, but this information is priceless. I found out about this book after reading Devin Starlanyl's books. Jo Ellen
  4. abjessop

abjessop New Member

Hi Susie,
    I used to have the heart attack feeling, turns out its referred pain from the back.
    Of course, it took multiple ekg's or whatever to figure this out.
    I agree with Jo Ellen
    There's also a technique called myofascial release, which some physiotherapists do (painless). Never tried it, but I know a few fibromites who sweaar by it. My chiropractor does it too with acupressure, but his version is excruciating, so I stopped going. I don't need more pain to get rid of pain!

soft hugs,
    abby
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Abstract: Experimental Chewing in Myofascial Pain Patients
    ImmuneSupport.com

03-14-2002

Journal: J Orofac Pain 2002 Winter;16(1):22-8

Authors: Gavish A, Winocur E, Menashe S, Halachmi M, Eli I, Gazit E.

Affiliation: Department of Occlusion and Behavioral Sciences, Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel.

NLM Citation: PMID: 11889656

AIMS: To evaluate the potential capacity of a chewing exercise to differentiate chronic Myofascial pain (MFP) patients from healthy controls and to test whether there are distinct pain response differences among MFP patients.

METHODS: Eighty-nine subjects participated in the study; 49 were diagnosed as belonging to the MFP subgroup of temporomandibular disorders (TMD) and had suffered from MFP for at least 6 months, and 40 healthy age- and gender-matched subjects comprised the control group. After completion of a clinical examination, all subjects performed a chewing exercise. Subjects chewed on half a leaf of green casting wax for 9 minutes and then held their jaw at rest for another 9 minutes.

They indicated the intensity of the pain experience on a visual analog scale (VAS) every 3 minutes from the beginning (P0) to the end (P18) of the chewing exercise. Only changes in pain report of more than 5 mm on the VAS were considered. Analysis of covariance with repeated measures was used to analyze fluctuations in pain levels during the test, with the pain level at baseline (P0) as a covariant.

RESULTS: Statistical analysis revealed a significant main effect for group (MFP versus control); a significant main effect for activity (chewing versus rest); an interaction between activity and time; and an interaction between activity, time, and group. The latter revealed the significant effect of the chewing activity on pain levels in both groups along the axis of time and its recovery at rest. In the MFP patients, pain had increased by 32 mm at P9 in 84% of the patients and recovered to almost the initial pain levels by P18; 6% reported a decrease in pain sensation and 10% reported no change in pain. In the controls, pain had increased 4.9 mm by P9, a value within the recording error range of the scale.

CONCLUSION: (1) A strenuous chewing exercise is a potentially beneficial tool in the diagnostic process of Myofascial pain patients and, if validated, could be incorporated into clinical examinations. (2) The increase in pain intensity following the chewing exercise is typical of most of the MFP group. (3) The phenomenon of pain decrease in a small percentage of MFP patients should be further investigated.