FM/CFS Progressive?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Missnae1, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Missnae1

Missnae1 New Member

For those of you have suffered from this illness for years, do you find that it is progressive? Most Drs. will say it isn't, but I tend to disagree. I've found that most Drs. don't know much about it anyway! LOL Thanks for your repsonses, and wishing everyone a tolerable day!
  2. Mumu

Mumu New Member

The illness itself may not be progressive, but all of the things we do to try to get by with the illness have an effect on us over the years. For example, I take Excedrin for the headaches and body aches because it's the only thing I've found that makes me feel better. But it contains aspirin, which gave me ulcers several years ago when I was taking too much, and aspirin also interferes with the absorption of magnesium, which gives you even more symptoms when you become deficient. You gradually stop getting as much exercise because it hurts so much afterward, or because of the fatigue, and so then your muscles get out of shape, and your heart isn't healthy because of the lack of exercise, etc. It's a chain reaction kind of thing, I think. If I avoid stress, eat well, take less Excedrin, get plenty of sleep, and exercise regularly, I don't feel much different than I did 30 years ago when the illness first reared its ugly head. It's just hard to discipline myself to do all those things and keep up with all the responsibilties of daily life.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You will most likely get responses from people who have gotten worse over the year who will swear it is progressive. Dr. Cheney says there are three phases of CFIDS and there is an article in our library about this.

I have both FMS and CFIDS and have been sick for 12 years, but I really got sick about 2 1/2 years ago, to the point that I had to stop working and was bedridden a lot of the time. I am now feeling that I will eventually be able to get back to work. It has taken a long time and a lot of effort on my part, but I have found some treatments which have helped me a lot. If I had not done this, I would most likely have gotten worse and sworn that these are progressive illnesses. There are others who have improved through research, trial and error, and finding effective treatments.

There are some who seem to have settled into a static state with their illnesses. If they maintain a certain regimen and do not overdo, they manage to hold the line.

We are all different and our illnesses manifest themselves in different ways. I think we are always vulnerable to infections of opportunity which can make us worse. We also sometimes develop other associated disorders and illnesses which can make us worse.

I think at this time, it's difficult to answer this question. I, personally, do not think our illnesses to be progressive, but there is no doubt in my mind that many of us do get worse as time goes on.

Love, Mikie
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

Either it is progressive, or as we get older our bodies can not tolerate the pain and fatigue like we used to do. I've had FM for many years, and before the last 2 to 3 years I was able to work through the pain and fatigue, still function, and just keep on going. About two years ago I hit the brick wall, and knew I was in real trouble. Now, after quitting work, it has been easier due to the fact that I can lay down during the day, when needed.

Dara