Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by anchor, Nov 12, 2009.

1. anchor

anchor Member

i have been taking fibrosleep with fair results and just ordered (from prohealth):

fibro energy

vitamin D3

am i on the right track?

2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

but the DHEA is one to be careful with....can be helpful but also can cause some problems

the Vit D is possible to over do, though, it is very unlikely (many many people are deficient in it, &not that many have too much)

if it is at all possible I would try to get your blood levels of D and DHEA (and the other hormones that DHEA is converted into) checked....if not, I would start out with a very low dose of the DHEA
  3. anchor

anchor Member

i am not aware of what possible problems taking DHEA can cause.....could you please elaborate?

i don't have a doctor that is willing to i am on my own with this.

thanks, lisa.

any more input would be great please.
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Here in Canada DHEA is a controlled substance. Even if it is shown to be medically necessary, it has to be an extreme case and the doctor has to apply to Health Canada for a prescription for their patient and my understanding is that most prescriptions are denied.

According to Mayo Clinic "No studies on the long-term effects of DHEA have been conducted. DHEA can cause higher than normal levels of androgens and estrogens in the body, and theoretically may increase the risk of prostate, breast, ovarian, and other hormone-sensitive cancers. Therefore, it is not recommended for regular use without supervision by a licensed health professional."
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Tiger Lilea is rt about what she posted

It has actually been awhile since I researched this so I don't have all the info in front of me (or in my foggy brain), but I do remember reading some alarming stuff, and I also rememebr that there are a lot of sex hormone side effects that can occur....some are merely annoying (like hair loss & acne) others are more dangerous (like cancer)

I also remember that if you google it, some of the claims seem very good, but no one really knows a safe amt or anything about how much will help based on current hormone levels/symptoms....or if it is safe long term, etc

a lot of unknowns, a lot of risks, and hormones are so tricky to get rt bc they interact with so many things in the body & some, like DHEA, can turn into more than one other hormone, so there is no guarantee that if you are taking it, it will convert into the proper balance of estrogen, testosterone, etc.......and too many hormones are among the things that have been found to activate XMRV (this last one is pretty important)

despite all this i tried it (didn't know about the XMRV connection at the time)....I tried it bc my levels of it (and several other hormones) are very low.....rt away my hair started falling out in clumps and I just did not feel rt at all on it (I don't really know how to explain how I felt, but it was not an improvement, to say the least)
  6. anchor

anchor Member

woe...good info. thanks.