FM/CFS Vs Stress

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bluejay6, Oct 3, 2006.

1. bluejay6

bluejay6 New Member

A quick question---do a lot of folks here diagnosed with either CFS or FMS also have a tendency to be involved with a lot of stress be it work or whatever?????
  2. ladykew

ladykew New Member

I was dx'd with FMS 20+ years ago; CFS 10+ years ago. I had a tremendous amount of stress in my homelife when I was a child and it didn't stop there. Through divorces, major surgeries, medical mistakes, sepsis twice, and working for a very large well-known computer firm which was extremely a high-level of stress for 20 years (even though I loved it), I was dx'd with FMS. I have been told by both my Rheumatologist and my Psychiatrist that managing my stress level was of utmost importance in managing my FMS/CFIDS. I have been disabled for 12 years. Stress plays a big part in managing my flares. Just another look at it.

~~~Lew
  3. redtex

redtex New Member

that certain genes are damaged and acummulated stress,both mental and physical, over a long period of time may be responsible. there should be some posts here about this research.
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

As much as I love Prickles I must disagree with her comment about stress not having anything to do with our illness. Our brains are very sensitive to emotional stress and our bodies don't tolerate physical stress well either.

If you read Hayleycole's posts or mine about disfunctional neurotransmitters you'll see what I mean. I believe the research that says that we have a genetic weakess in our HPA-axis which lends itself to intolerance of stressors over time.

Bluejay, I see that this is your first post. Welcome. When you have a chance, would you fill out your profile into so we can tell "who" we're writing? Just go up to the top right-hand corner where it says Edit Profile. Thanks.

Marta

5. cct

cct Member

Didn't the Center for Disease Control release a statement a few months ago saying that they have completed preliminary research that indicates a particular (abnormal) stress-gene sequence in CFS people?

From "New evidence that genetics are responsible for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" by Emily See for ImmuneSupport.com Treatment & Research Information:
    "Dr. Reeves said, CFS patients consistently exhibited particular genetic sequence variations in certain genes that are related to those parts of the brain activity that mediate stress response.'"

Also, from ProHealth News Feature dated 5.2.6: "three specific gene sequences were found that are associated with the brain activities that mediate the reaction to stress and are highly correlated with the expression of symptoms of CFS."

I had a high-stress career, did not handle it well, and I developed CFS/FM!
  6. TerryS

TerryS Member

What do I know? I just got diagnosed; however, I had a high stress job (currently on a medical leave) and seems like every time something happens around the house, as simple as the dogs barking, I get dizzy spells...hmm...

TerryS

P.S. - You can see a pic of one of my babies on my profile.