FM & costacondritis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by cat0993, Feb 20, 2006.

1. cat0993

cat0993 New Member

Hi all: I was just dx with my 2nd bout of costocondritis (chest wall pain - along 4th,5th & 6th ribs in my case). Has anyone else been experiencing this? If yes, does it seem to come back often?

Thanks for your responses!

Cat
  2. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

I have fibromagia. The doc told me I have costocondritis (or however its spelt) They put me on celebrex (which was taken off the market how scarry)it felt better a couple of weeks later. Then in a coupleof months started bothering me again. When i told my doc he told me it doesnt come back. I read online that it is an ongoing thing. This same doc told my aunt her shoulder pain was all in her head. she recently had surgery to remove a bone spur . apparently he is an idiot so beleive what i read online that you have bouts that come and go.
  3. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I am going through a bout of Costocondritis, now, and it hurts so bad, that I sometimes feel like going to the ER.
    But they really can't do anything more for me, than what I can do myself at home.

I had just this am, shown my DH some websites about this, as he was wondering about it.
    He was rubbing my feet and legs at the time, lol, he's so Sweet, (most times lol)

I take my Meds, Norco, Soma and Vistril, and it seems to help make me comfortable enought to tolerate the Pain.
    I also use a Hot Pack, on my side/chest.
    I sometimes use a Moist Towel, that I Nuke in the Micro for aabout 1-1,1/2mins.
    I lay that across my chest.

I take XANAX at night, but I don't think it helps that much with the pain, just relaxs me enough to get to sleep,

I get sore afterwards too, like it's still there, so don't make any False moves, know what I mean.

I have had this all my life, and it has gotten wrose over the last few years, I think that is due to the FMS, and the fact that FMS makes everything Hurt more.

Bedrest, Hot Packs and my Meds, are the best in helping to relive the symptoms, I also try to reduce the Stress, around me, as that, makes it worse too.

Hope you feel better, and find some answer's that will help ease your Pain/Symptoms.
    Hug's,
    sharonk
  4. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

Cat
    I has tons of test about two years ago. They thought it was my liver. I kept telling them my ribs hurt and the pain wraped around to the front part of my body. After a colonostopy and where they put the tube down my throat they concluded I had it. The next flare I had it was on the other side and I thought I has something bad. I just knew my heart was giving out. LOL I even ask the doc how will I know if its a real heart problem and not my ribs and he said you wont!! You have to come in or go to ER and let them make the call!! I have my ribs flare up every 3-6 monts and it last about 2 weeks or more.
    Just another thing to add to my list of fun things to deal with.
    Take care Melinda
  5. momof471

momof471 New Member

HI, Idon't post very often but I had to jump in on this topic. I fractured my sternum about 2 years ago at work. Drs. did no scans or anything to find this, diagnosed as costochondritis, 2 months later with bone scan discovered the fractured sternum, which at that point had already healed, but still creating huge issues, anyway being a worker's comp issue took forever to get proper treatment and all of this led towards fibromyalgia. The pain in the chest has never gone away for me and on days like today is excruciating, I've been shallow breathing all day, it hurts to take a deep breath, but it will ease off in a couple of days I hope. My rheumatologist has told me this is just another one of those issues I have to learn to cope with(easy for him to say!) I hope you recover from it better than I. Hot showers do help me tremendously!
  6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

About 6 years ago I experienced severe pains in my chest. They were so severe that I thought I was having a heart attack. My husband took me to the ER and I was diagnosed with Costochondritis. It lasted several weeks. I remember it was hard to take a full breath without the stabbing pain.

It came back a second time after I had been symptom-free for 6 months or so. The second time it lasted a shorter time and then went away for good.

I hope it's the same for you, Cat. It is a terrible pain.

Lolalee

7. Georgey girl1

Georgey girl1 Member

I have got this again, the last time was 8 yrs ago.i wouldn't wish it on anyone, so painful n I also think I'm having heart attack. Does anyone else get pain under armpits too?
  8. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

I have suffered this in the past and the pain is horrendous!
    Cannot move a muscle and thought it was a heart attack (It was actually at my brothers funeral....he had died from a heart attack!!)
    It is so scary and thank god I have only had it twice.At least we know what it is now.