FM diagnosed by Cymbalta?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cwstuart, Aug 6, 2008.

1. cwstuart

cwstuart New Member

I'm very new to FM and CFS, and have gone to a Internal medicine doctor who has decided that since my only 2 blood tests showing out of normal range are the ANA and C-reactive protein, that she wants me to try Cymbalta and if that "fixes" my problems then she'll diagnosis me with FM. Is this common doctoring process when diagnosising FM? Or should I see a rheumatologist and get a more educated diagnosis instead of going the route of diagnosing through drug treatment? Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

There are plenty of people here who have been definitely diagnosed with FM but who were not helped at all by the Cymbalta. And I think at least a few found the side-effects of the medication to be intolerable.

The Cymbalta is not a guaranteed fix for those with FM -- and neither is it a diagnostic tool!

My diagnosis was from a rheumatologist. The problem is trying to find one who treats FM, as quite a few do not. So you may need to do some calling around to find one. They should discuss your full range of symptoms and also do the "tender points test" which you can find out more on if you Google it.

Best wishes,
  3. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

FM is not diagnosed by Cymbalta.

My primary doctor is who diagnosed me. I did try cymbalta but I had burning in my stomach so I am unable to take it due to previous stomach issues.

There is not one drug that fixes FM. We are all different and what works for one may not work for another.
    I haven't found any drugs that totally take my pain away but the drugs do help to reduce my pain which is a big help.

Take care, Susan

4. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

All I know is what I have been through, my dr. put me on

Cymbalta only because of depression I don't believe that

it will cure you fms or cfs sorry, I wish it would then

we would all be well. In fact like I said I was on it for

depression and stopped using it because it didn't help much

But good luck to you maybe it will do something for you

that it didn't do for me.

Gentle Hugs crispangel
  5. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

I was on Cymbalta before being diagnosed with FM. I was having horrible pain and aches, so I would say that for me, Cymbalta did not help with the pain. Now I am also on Lyrica and have been prescribed Ultracet and for bad breakthrough pain, Darvocet. Dr. does NOT like to RX narcotics. If they were ever in the pain we have during flares, they would feel differently. I do not take the Ultracet or Darvocet regularly, but only when the pain gets bad enough I can't ignore it. I might take Ultracet 1x every other day, unless I am in a flare.
    The pain of FM is very different than any other pain I have had. You can't always just take something and it goes away.
    Hang in there and don't let your DR. railroad you. We do have to stand up for ourselves!
  6. jbc66

jbc66 New Member

Doesn't an abnormal ANA test indicate the possibility of Lupus or other rheumatoid disorder? Don't let a doctor put you on a drug in order to help with a diagnosis. That's just crazy.

7. cwstuart

cwstuart New Member

My understanding is that a positive ANA can be an indication of a number of different autoimmune connective tissue diseases, which is why the doctor is saying that she doesn't know which one and wants to try Cymbalta to see if that proves a diagnosis of fibromyalgia instead of lupus. That's why I am on this forum looking for help because it doesn't make any sense to me. But, when I'm fatigued and in pain nothing much makes sense anymore.

Thank you so much for all the comments. They have all been helpful.