FM diagnosis after 9 months

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by femmule, Apr 1, 2007.

1. femmule

femmule New Member

I have been in pain since last July. As I'm sure you know, the doctors have thought it was arthritis, and then, lupus, rheumatoid, etc. But, nothing in the bloodwork. Trying to embrace the latest dianosis of FM which makes the most since. Through the whole 9 months it has been challenging having my life taken away from me. If I pick up the house for 30 minutes I need a nap, and my legs hurt. My legs give me more trouble than anything else. I'm currently on Cymbalta for a couple months, celebrex twice a day, and a muscle relaxor to go to sleep. I don't care for my rheumatologist. Very poor bed side manner, and I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about. What does anyone else take? And what do you do for exercise. I find I get worn out so easily. Please help!
  2. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

it took four years for me to finally get diagnosises of FM/CFS. My rheumatologist is nice, but he won't prescribe anything for pain for me. I know he does for some of his other FM patients, but I don't know why he won't for me. My next appointment is for this Wednesday, and I am going to talk to him about it.

My rheumy has prescribed Pamelor to help me sleep at night, and Lexapro to take in the morning. Both of those are anti-depressants. I do not have any relief of pain; they just help me sleep at night.

I have to be REALLY CAREFUL about the amount of my physical activity. If I do too much and "over do it," I will have a bad flare of symptoms that can last several days to weeks. I have trouble with severe weakness, which coupled with severe pain, makes it very difficult to exercise. My rheumy tells me to gradually build up my exercise tolerance; I have tried, but so far I keep having terrible flares and weakness as a result. It feels like trying to dig myself out of a dark hole, and I keep slipping down farther and farther into pain and weakness.

By the way, it looks like you are new to this message board - Let me be the first to welcome you! This is a great place to get info, meet friends, compare notes, get support... It's really great!

I hope I'm making sense... I am soooo tired and hurting, and not thinking straight. God Bless!

Debbie
  3. femmule

femmule New Member

I AM new to this. Today was the first day that I have ever posted anything. Thank you for welcoming me. I have such a great support system, but it still seems like no one knows what I'm going through.
    My husband was in the military, and spent 2 years of his last years in the military in Iraq. I became completely independent. I am now 31, and we don't have children yet. But after dealing with him being gone for so long I became so strong. I took care of our huge yard, kept the house spotless, got my Masters, and still took care of family and friends. I became so strong. And then last summer I noticed a my left knee hurting as I went down the stairs at work. Next it was the right knee. Ankle to ankle and so on. so naturally they thought it was rheumatoid. Except for the fact that my ced (sp?) rate has never elevated. Then we realized that I was never going into deep sleep, etc.
    Slowly, all of this took it's toll, and now my husband does the cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. so that I can save my energy so I can still go to work. I feel like my whole life has been taken from me. I have so many plans and dreams, and after all that I used to do, I can't vaccuum the house without having to take a nap. It's been very depressing.
    And, I want to have kids, and I'm beginning to wonder if I will ever feel good enough to take care of them. Any thoughts?