FM evolving over time?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marcus1243, Oct 24, 2002.

1. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Hi all, just wondering how many of you out there have found that their FM has changed since being first dx'd. I can find little literature that supports the notion that it does, and yet I find that my own illness has changed character quite a lot. It first started (about 14 months ago) with headaches, nausea & dizziness and then pain in the neck, shoulder and arms. Now, the pain is much more severe in the legs, (with cramping of muscles), the rapid muscle fatiguability is more pronounced, I get more tingling sensations in the feet, and the joint pains are much worse (knees especially but wrists too). Blurry vision, abdominal discomfort, IBS and irritable bladder are also now major concerns. Oddly enough, the nausea, dizziness, and neck/shoulder pain has just about disappeared (for the time being!) They reckon this thing is not progressive, but it sure does seem to change!
  2. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Hi all, just wondering how many of you out there have found that their FM has changed since being first dx'd. I can find little literature that supports the notion that it does, and yet I find that my own illness has changed character quite a lot. It first started (about 14 months ago) with headaches, nausea & dizziness and then pain in the neck, shoulder and arms. Now, the pain is much more severe in the legs, (with cramping of muscles), the rapid muscle fatiguability is more pronounced, I get more tingling sensations in the feet, and the joint pains are much worse (knees especially but wrists too). Blurry vision, abdominal discomfort, IBS and irritable bladder are also now major concerns. Oddly enough, the nausea, dizziness, and neck/shoulder pain has just about disappeared (for the time being!) They reckon this thing is not progressive, but it sure does seem to change!
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I have responded to another of your posts before, & I believe you & I are a lot alike in how our FM has characterized itself. Mine oddly began with NO pain-- major feet tingling, muscle twitching & swollen feeling hands were my original symptoms. So naturally I thought I had some weird neurological disease & went thru complete testing for that. Over the years, I've had much more achiness, joint pain & stiffness, strange headaches, and on & on. My symptoms wax & wane, too, and I always regret not keeping a "symptom diary" from the beginning because it's been enough years now that I often get a "new" symptom that actually I think back & may have experienced before, but I can't remember! This syndrome allegedly is NOT progressive---but I've never met anyone with it who didn't say it certainly FEELS progressive. Take care, Marcus--

Hugs,
    Pam
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

They say its not progressive but I beg to differ!!I too...started with alot of my pain being in my neck and going down one arm.Now(the last couple yrs)I'd say alot of my pain is in my hip area and legs,even mid to upper back.Not so much in my arm lately??Its sure keeps us guessing!!The pain seems more severe than in the beginning??Unless i'm just tired of all the pain every day?
    It seems something hurts daily...I'm lucky to feel well 1 day out of the week~I better shut up...I'm starting to sound like a big DOWNER!LOL
    Chin up!
    Love,
    Tracey
  5. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

talk about opening a can of worms!!!!

My symptoms are so many and vary greatly - i never know what to expect!!!! If in severe pain, not as much exhaustion. If exhausted, not so much pain! Joint pain & swelling from mild to severe, headaches, all over severe pain, My pain has worsened but another pain med has helped.It's all such a juggling act!

I know i was born w/ this. had cfs to the point of going on State Disability for a year, then back to work, hospitalized w/ crohn's 9 months later, continued working/dealing for 6 years as a residential property mgmr., then moved, was doing good - worked as a preschool teacher, then bam! rearended and now fully disabled w/FM, CMP, IBS, neck, back injury, already had had previous left sided on the job back neck injury, but this car accident put me over the edge!
  6. Bambi

Bambi New Member

Hi! I've had the DD for at least 25
    years and made rounds and rounds and
    rounds with doctors over the years. I
    was finally DXd in '97. By that time I had really decided I would try this
    one last doctor and if I didn't get
    the diagnosis and help I was going the route of Kavorkian's patients. A
    miracle? the doctor was young and her
    mother had Fibro! I had had a steady
    bottom number on my blood pressure of 110, and was told I had "the heart of
    a hummingbird"..in other words "you
    are nuts!". Well the medication has
    stopped all that. I have gotten progressively worse in the years I had Fibro and I write letters constantly to the web sites where they are still lying about it. Don't
    give up and don't think you are "odd"
    because you are NOT. My daughter is only 30 and hers has progressed in about 4 years as much as mine did in
    all my years. Everyone I know is worse. Take care. Bambi
  7. tes

tes New Member

I have had fms for about 9 years. When I first got it I was horrified and in a state of panic. I went through test after test and all I would hear is "nothing abnormal has been found." After 3 years I gave up with doctors and just made myself believe that I was not normal and went on with my life. Still not being able to work, I decided to start my family (I am now 31). My primary symptoms are chest pain, lower rib pain , fatigue, and many more. My kids instilled a whole new outlook on life for me. And for years I was doing great. My kids are now 2 and 4. Now, 9 years later, I have gone into such a flare I cannot believe it. All of 2002 has been horrible for me. From back problems, to severe headaches (which had me in emerg back in May) to this crippling lower rib pain I have now had for 3 months non-stop. My doctor started with tests all over again. To make a long story short, I think people with fms will go through long periods of remission, but when a flare hits it becomes longer and more painful. This is my opinion and I'm sure everyone has different views. Hope everyone trys to remain well and GOD BLESS!

Tes
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My pain and fatigue is actually a lot less than it was when I was dx'd 17 yrs. ago, which I credit mainly to a 6 days per week exercise program and the elimination of toxic people from my life. Some credit goes to menopause as well, as I have heard others say their pain diminished then. But as the pain got less, the neurological problems got worse and worse and are now my main problems. MVPS and POTS are making my life a misery and I never know what will happen or when. I have also become quite irritable and not nearly as nice as I used to be...just worn out I guess.
    Klutzo
  9. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Marcus--our progression has been very similar. My pain began in my neck, right shoulder, and radiated down my right arm to hand. It was accompanied with nausea, and dizziness. Like yours, now the majority of it seems to be in my hips, legs, and knees. I have alot of tingling in legs and feet. Since I am so new to this, (6 months) I am not sure what to expect next.
    Karen