FM friendly massage therapists in/near Boston?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ericdinbstn, Jan 17, 2007.

1. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

Hi everyone-

I'm trying to explore all avenues to trying to relieve the pain of this condition. I heard that some types of massage may help ease pain and tension as well as aid in sleep. I've also heard that it's important to get a massage therapist who understands our condition. Anyone know one in the Boston area?

In time I hope to cut the list of medications I'm on. I'm exploring all options.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Tammy070498

Tammy070498 New Member

also in boston looking for the same!!
  3. shnopee

shnopee New Member

Looking for the same. I actually posted a while back if anyone in the Boston area can post a list of resources that they found to be very helpful - massage therapists, chiropractors, etc. to just save on time AND money(since a lot of these are not covered by insurance and can add up). Unfortunately, one has to try something so many times before you realize that it's not effective for our situation and by the time you discover it, time and monetary resources have already been spent so it would be great if we can exchange resources.

I still haven't found a good massage therapist after trying about 4 different ones for a period of time. I did however found the most effective help with a Rolfer - expensive but definitely most effective. It's not a massage but a very intense type of body work. With most massage, I've found that I'm in so much pain and very tight again in just a couple of hours. The residual effect of the Rolfing is more lasting for me. One of the biggest things I realized after just one session of Rolfing is how much more I can breathe. I did not realize that I don't breath as much or am holding my breath - presumbaly from holding in the pain and tensing up even more, causing more tightness and pain. The one I've gone to is Garret Whitney and cannot recommend him enough. He has a practice in Brighton and Concord. Not all Rolfers practice the same way as I found out. I felt so much better and looser right away from my first session.

Would love to hear of any good masage therapists.
  4. shnopee

shnopee New Member

Much appreciated!
  5. Honora88

Honora88 Member

He is very sympathetic and wants the best for all his clients!