Fm...Has anyone felt worse after stopping work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CanBrit, Jul 10, 2008.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My Dr. wrote me off work a couple of weeks ago. My fatigue has improved quite a bit but I've found my pain levels have increased quite a bit.

Has anyone else had this experience when they've stopped working?

2. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I had to take two days off a few weeks ago and my guilt over not being at work was overwhelming and stressful and it made me feel ever worse than when I woke up that morning. I've also found that if I vary the routine I have established, it throws me off and I start feeling bad.

Are you trying to do too much to compensate for not working? Did the doctor change your meds or doses? Are you eating differently since you aren't at work? As I mentioned, with me, little things like that can cause big changes.

I hope you start feeling better soon!

3. soleil16

soleil16 New Member

Since I quit my job to move to a new town, my pain levels have skyrocketed! Part of it is being home alone and bored, so I don't have a distraction to keep my mind off this DD.

But I also feel horrible that I haven't been able to find another job yet, and I know my husband is stressed out, and all the stress adds up to give me the worst flare ever. I get more sleep and rest, but the stress turns me into a really painful mess. I'm just trying to find other things to do to focus on something other than how sick I feel.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

When I was taking off a lot of time from work, before I had to quit,it was both pain and fatigue levels that decreased.

When I had to quit work, I felt worse all over as I had to leave because I was sick.

However I know on the days I would call in sick, I often felt like a school girl playing hookey, even though I was not well enough to go in. It may have had something to do with the fact I was a teacher.

But taking a day off work, meant two days of catching up, which made everything worse.

It is easier said than done to relax, read a book, enjoy things and I do that when I can. But sometimes the effort to do that seems too much.

I have worked since I was 16. I loved teaching and miss it so much but right now I do not have any choice about returning to work.

Very frustrating isn't it?

Take care.

5. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I think I know what you mean. I work part-time. When I awaken in the morning, I feel like a truck ran over me or as if I were beat up. I hurt all over.

I think it is because of lying on my muscles for the night though I switch positions about 2-3 times a night.

Once I have my coffee, toast and supplements and I get into a hot shower, I start to feel better.

My job is physical where I am moving a lot for about 6 hours at the most each day. My muscles have toned up and I have become stronger.

The pain is still there in the neck and shoulders due to poor posture. I asked my doctor for a prescription to help with that. I will use the machines at physical therapy and heat and massage.

Once I can get the shoulders back in the correct position, I will feel better.

I hate getting up early and having to be on a schedule, but I do get to see and talk to people throughout the day and I need that.

But, right now it's Summer. The winter is not so fun and it is a lot harder to keep up.

6. jmq

jmq New Member

I HAD to stop working about a year ago. I could not drive never mind function. I would say just being able to sleep and rest as much as possible has been VERY good. My stress level is MUCH better. ( Except I worry about money!)

As far as the pain and is still there but I can manage it much better now that I am not working.

Hope u feel better soon

7. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

not the fact that Ive had to quit work. I have both ME/CFS and FMS, and my symptoms are still getting more and more severe since I first started having problems back in '02.

My rheumatologist told me on my first visit to him that people with FMS often get worse when they quit their jobs and apply for disability. He felt it was vitally important that I get daily exercise. I was able to explain to him about CFS a little bit, and he seemed to understand.

Not having the stress of work has helped me tremendously! Stress affects me severely.

I am sorry if this is rambling; it is very late, and I had to stay up until my meds started to work, so I'm not sure if I'm making sense! God bless all!

8. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Thanks all for your feedback. I appreciate it very much. I almost feel like I have too much time to focus on pain. I started working part-time when I was 14. I'm now 52. I really don't know how not to work.

My pain meds are the same, but I've been trying to reduce the short acting morphine to twice a day. Probably not a good idea.

The fatigue is a 100% better which is great. After my head and shoulder got injured in February, my FM went into overdrive and pretty much hasn't stopped. There's a lawsuit pending on that, but we have to be very careful financially until disability kicks in.

It really helps that my husband is off (he's a teacher). We get along so well together and really love this chance to spend more quality time together. The past few months felt like all it was, was work and sleep. No quality of life whatsoever.

We finally got a pool heater this year. (Our above ground pool never got above 78...made my muscles seize!) I'm going to start doing water exercises. I really find that helps.

As for relaxing...don't know how but I'm thinking I'd better start to learn.

Thanks again,

9. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi there:

Anyone else out there with suggestions about how to stop working?
  10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I definitely feel better when working; I find exactly what you mentioned---perhaps too much time to focus on pain or fatigue. I found that a job with the right balance of activity vs. sitting helped me; either all activity or all sitting would've been too much. Plus, I feel that when working, I have a sense of purpose, a mission...that seems to give me a psychological lift that translates to a physical lift, too.

Right now, I am on a different sort of medical leave, but I really miss working...

11. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I appreciate your comments. I know you have a difficult challenge at the moment and pray that your transplant has the desired effect and you are cancer free.

I love my home and garden, so it makes it easier that it's the summer. Lord knows what I'll do when the fall comes and my husband goes back to his teaching job. I'm trying to look at Aquafit classes and maybe some volunteering.

I'm sure there's got to be someone out there that can use a computer geek's skills!

Much love sent your way,