FM Housekeeping assistance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aquabugs, Dec 20, 2006.

1. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

Hello everyone

A post I read a few days ago mentioned there was housekeeping and yard work assistance available. I assumed it was for disabled and/or low income people.

Does anyone know which agency to contact regarding this? With my FM and hubby's chronic back pain (due to botched back surgeries), we really need some help.

My mom hired someone to come in and clean before Thanksgiving, but I really need to find some low cost help to do some cleaning on a regular basis.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Sylvia
  2. day2day

day2day Member

Does in my area, also you can try United Way. I believe you can dial 211 now to connect to united way or look in the front part of your phone book under services.

good luck
  3. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

I contacted them and they mailed me out some info,
    including a brochure listing all kinds of agencies that
    do cleaning.

The lowest one I found was for $17 / hour with a 2 hour minimum.

Then just 2 weeks ago, I found a neighbor whose sister is living with them and cannot work full time due to a medical problem.

Her line of work is house cleaning and she says that she feels strong enough to clean for 4 hours at a time.

So, for $10 / hour she has come to my house, next door LOL,
    and has cleaned for 3 hour blocks.

I hope she will agree to continue for awhile.

Also, try asking your neighborhood church, friends, etc. You never know who is between jobs and needs some extra money but won't charge too much.

I wish you the best,
    Jillian
  4. mezombie

mezombie Member

Try your county's Disability Services agency. They might offer direct assistance, or at least help steer you in the right direction.

The American Red Cross chapter in your area also may help.
  5. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

I appreciate your suggestions. I just came up with a blank when I was trying to figure out who to call for such services.

If I can squeeze money from our budget to get someone in at least a couple times a month, it will give me more energy to do things I LIKE to do.

Thanks again
    Sylvia