FM in adolescents

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mags, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Mags

Mags New Member

I have suffered from FM for 3 years. My daughter, who is now 15, has been suffering from anxiety/depression symptoms for at least a year and has made 2 (luckily unsuccessful) suicide attempts. She has been seeing a psychiatrist for the last 8 months and has been diagnosed with depression. My suggestion that she is suffering from FM was basically ignored.
    I really believe that she also has FM and am currently pursuing a second opinion. I would like to hear from anyone who is, or knows of, any adolescents with the condition.
  2. Mags

Mags New Member

I have suffered from FM for 3 years. My daughter, who is now 15, has been suffering from anxiety/depression symptoms for at least a year and has made 2 (luckily unsuccessful) suicide attempts. She has been seeing a psychiatrist for the last 8 months and has been diagnosed with depression. My suggestion that she is suffering from FM was basically ignored.
    I really believe that she also has FM and am currently pursuing a second opinion. I would like to hear from anyone who is, or knows of, any adolescents with the condition.
  3. *Isla*

*Isla* New Member

Hello!
    I'm 17 years old and have CFS and FM. I've had CFS since I was 12 and FM since I was 16. I did also suffer from depression and anxiety for a period of about 6 months when my health was at it's worst (around my 16th birthday). Hope that helps.
    God bless and keep smilin'!!
    *Sonia*
  4. phenom

phenom New Member

when i got this DD but was only diagnosed recently at age 20. i went from dr to dr for years - being told it was all in my head etc and that i was faking to get attention - i tried unsuccessfully to kill myself about half a dozen times. i have depression and PTSD on top of the FM. hope that helps a bit.
  5. LisaAnn81

LisaAnn81 New Member

The first time I remember getting symtoms of FMS was when I was twelve and I just got diagnosed with it the other day.

I am 21 now and in my teenage years I was very depressed and tried to commit suicide a few times. I went to a mental hospital and therepy but it did not help, they put me on meds and they did not help. I have not been depressed like that since I was 18. I still have moments, but I believe alot of people do.

Knowing how I was, I pushed away my mother because I was ashamed. The best thing I think for you to do is make sure you and people who love her let her know that she is loved. My mom (know matter how much I pushed her away) would always give me a hug before I went to bed and looking back I knew she loved me.

Your daughter will get through this and she will come out a stronger person. And if you would like any advice from someone who has been there first hand go ahead and write me an e-mail at LisaPorter@hotmail.com.

I hope everything is okay. Take Care!!!!

Always,
    Lisa
  6. lease79

lease79 New Member

& Welcome to the site.
    I am 23 years old & have suffered from cfs since I was about 11, (dx at 18) I have not properly been dx with fibro, but it is suspected that I have this as well.
    I would be taking your daughter to a fms friendly doctor to get her checked out ;)

Lease