FM is a Full Time JOB

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cressida, May 22, 2006.

1. cressida

cressida New Member

I don't know how many people here still work full time or not, but I've found FM to be a full time job in itself. How many of us spend hours, days - even years trying to figure out what we can do to get rid of this 'thing' once and for all!

We experiment with so many different drugs and try to find ones that even barely just help us get through our days and sleep through our nights. We try alternative meds, because we can't deal with the side effects of these drugs. We try alternative practices such as acupuncture, massage and chiropractic. We spend hours researching things that we can try. We try different doctors, just to see if they may have a better approach than our current one. We go to psychiatrists, psychologists, etc. because this is so emotionally draining and depressing. We find support groups to help us know that we are not alone in our pain and frustration and recommend what may work for them.

We try to convince other people that we are not just being lazy and we even do things that hurt even more, just because we don't want people to 'label' us. Then even this backfires, because they don't understand why we can't do it all the time, so while we are trying to feel and act normal, we are setting the stage for others to question us. Obviously, if we could find something that could work for us full time, we could become fully functional and not have to spend what energy we do have just trying to deal with it!

We're running here and running there and we can't even run!

I don't know about anyone else - but this is a full time job in itself for me. How do we ever have time for anything else and yet some of us STILL try to do all this PLUS lead a full, busy life.

All I can say is IT'S EXHAUSTING!
  2. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

but I must admit some days I don't want to leave the bed, but I feel it is important for me to stay busy and active. I am only 48 and am not ready to hang it up yet as we own a family business and it is our ticket to retirement.

TxSongBird
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

I only work on the weekends. Sometimes I work one day, depending on how many hours sign up for massage therapy. Usually I work anywhere between 6-15 hrs. in a a weekend. I FEEL LIKE IT'S TOO MUCH!!! I have a very physically demanding job though. I start worrying about how many hrs. I'm gonna have about 3 or 4 days before the weekend gets around. By the time the weekend rolls around, I'm already phsically drained worrying if I am gonna be able to handle the load or not. Yes, I most certainly agree with you that this dd is a full time job. It's enough to have to worry about how to cope with so much pain and fatigue on a daily basis. Good topic to post.

Kriket
  4. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I can't work .I quit a job 6 years ago because my CFS/FM came with a full blown breakdown.I have only in the last few months gotten back to myself mentally.I am not so lucky with my physical being.I hold on to the hope I will at some point regain my health but as time moves on I am not sure I will ever get better ,sence I lately have been getting worse with my FM/CFS pain.But I still pray for a cure or at the least for a better understanding of pain relief.
    Your right its a job in its self.I have to sleep when I can and sometimes thats at all different hours.I dont think Id be able to pick and choose my hours to work.
    I truely admire those of you that do work outside your home.I just donot know how you do it.I do not shop anymore unless its on line.I do not even drop in to have a cup of coffee with a friend anymore.My days and hours are planned out in my head just to try to save on energy to do the things we all take for granted like showers or housework.
    your right IT's EXHAUSTING !
  5. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I just recently had to quit work as my cognitive issues were impeding my ability to perform my job. I retired early but truely believe I was on the road to be ousted because of my illness.

I really understand what you mean about the disease being exhausting. It is exhausting just to plan a day I know I can handle. I too try to still prove that I can funtion like everyone else. I mainly act like this on weekends when the family is home. Monday I crash in my chair and sleep most of the day and......tell myself what a fool I am for pushing my body.....hoping I won't throw myself into a major flare.

My neighbor asked me what my illness was that made me retire. I didn't tell him what I had because I was worried about the stigma that we also suffer from. What a mess it all is for us......I'm exhasuted just writing this! Lynda