FM is from the brain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DVoit, Dec 20, 2005.

1. DVoit

DVoit New Member

My doctor seems to believe or says that everything points to the fact that the sickness in the body from FMS is shown to be from the brain. Maybe something is off. Not that we are crazy but a physical thing. She says that is why most pain pills don't help but antidepressants do. Is that the general feeling?

Donna
  2. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

is that it is multi-system, some calling it a neuro-immuno- endocrine dysfunction. I know for me, my detox system--liver--is involved, and my digestive system, as I am grain and dairy intolerant, and the brain, and hormones (which could be brain--hypothalamus--or could be other parts of body, adrenals, for example). Some think it is a heart or mitochondrial problem. Everyone has their opinion, but no one seems to have all the pieces of the puzzle yet. Just my two cents. Blessings to you. Jen102
  3. ClasiAnFun1

ClasiAnFun1 New Member

Hi all, I saw a new Dr yesterday who specialty is fibro. She asked me if I had been on a lot of antibiotics when I was younger. I was shocked & said yes...every month until I was 18 for strep throat & tonsillitis, until they took my tonsils out. She then explained how long term use of antibiotics relate to getting fibro, something about the good bacteria being killed & the bad yeast building up. She said there has been alot of research to support this....just an interesting thought.
    hugs 2 all
    deb
  4. KerryK

KerryK Member

Antidepressants are routinely used to treat peripheral neuropathies as well. No one suggests that neuropathies are all in the brain. I believe FM is just a lot of shallow smaller nerves below the skin and in the skin that have gone hot for unknown reasons.
  5. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

I just got a Hopekeepers magazine that had a "new fibromyalgia discovery" notice. Apparently dextromethorhan (the ingredient in corisidin cold medicine) could help fibromyalgia. Documented in a study at the university of florida and in the May 2005 issue of The Journal of Pain. Also, I have used Guiafenesin for fibromyalgia pain and it reduced the pain also. I agree with the antibiotic use theory also, because I have had a reduction in pain using probiotics on a daily basis and have also noticed an increased pain when I have a yeast infection.
  6. adirondackhoney

adirondackhoney New Member

i rarely ever get yeast that i'm aware of.
    i hate antidepressants, they are used too
    freely in this country.
    i'm not depressed.
    i am sick, but i do get periods of sadness over it.
    it boggles my mind that they over prescribe these meds.