fm linked to bipolar disorder ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by michelange, Feb 22, 2007.

1. michelange

michelange New Member

Hi, does anyone out there know anything about the link between fm and bipolar disorder ? Anyone have both diagostics ?
  2. jodboga

jodboga New Member

yes , I do , so does my son
  3. michelange

michelange New Member

How long did it take to have the diagnostic and was it treated seriously and how did you find out ?
  4. michelange

michelange New Member

How long did it take to have the diagnostic and was it treated seriously and how did you find out ?
  5. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

A few years ago well 11yrs ago I was diagnosed with fms and just about one month ago I was diagnosed with bipolar so that is a really good question.

Pam
  6. jodboga

jodboga New Member

bipolar since 93 , fm since 95

my son recently
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I don't really understand Bipolar disorder. One doctor mentioned it but he had barely talked to me and I did not take him seriously.

I saw a psychiatrist to consult on my meds for sleep, etc. He was so weird himself and impatient. Would not let me answer a question, then pronounced I was either Bipolar, or Adult ADD.

8. michelange

michelange New Member

hi Pam,

I would like to know what medications you took and what you are taking now.

Michèle
  9. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl New Member

My family has a strong history of bipolar disorder, so I figured it was just a matter of time before I was diagnosed since treatment for any of the other disorders they diagnosed me with never worked.

I have been wondering if since having a chronic pain disorder makes us depression prone anyway that if we report our "up days" to drs unfamiliar with fibro they just assume it's a basically psychiatric problem... Does that make sense?

If we're in pain and depressed for a while, and then have a good day/week/month (for those who are lucky LOL) it would seem to them a shift in our mood, not our overall well being.

I was diagnosed by a new dr, when my previous dr, who had been seeing me before I was diagnosed with Fibro, never mentioned it. The meds for bipolar stopped working much faster than the meds for depression, so I stopped taking anything.

I'm wondering if there is a connection, not with the disorders, but with the kinds of information psychiatrists have about the different disorders that involve chronic pain. There aren't a lot of diseases where it is possible to wake up symptom free and continue that way for a while.

Sorry for going on a rant!
    Hugs,
    Love