FM & Low–frequency pulsed EMF/electromagnetic field

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Sep 28, 2009.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

A doctor friend just sent this to me, thought some might find it interesting... if it's already been posted, please forgive, I've not been able to be online lately much at all and didn't have time to check...

Low-frequency Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy in Fibromyalgia: A Randomized, Double-blind, Sham-controlled Clinical Study
    The Clinical Journal of Pain, 09/25/09

* Print
    * Email This Article
    * Save in My Library
    * Free Abstract

Sutbeyaz S et al. – Low–frequency pulsed electromagnetic field (PEMF) therapy might improve function, pain, fatigue, and global status in FM patients.

* 56 women with FM, aged 18 to 60 years, were randomly assigned to either PEMF or sham therapy.
    * Both the PEMF group (n=28) and the sham group (n=28) participated in therapy, 30 minutes per session, twice a day for 3 weeks.
    * Treatment outcomes were assessed by the fibromyalgia Impact questionnaire (FIQ), visual analog scale (VAS), patient global assessment of response to therapy, Beck Depression Inventory (BDI), and Short–Form 36 health survey (SF–36), after treatment (at 4 wk) and follow–up (at 12 wk).

* The PEMF group showed significant improvements in FIQ, VAS pain, BDI score, and SF–36 scale in all domains at the end of therapy.
    * These improvements in FIQ, VAS pain, and SF–36 pain score during follow–up.
    * The sham group also showed improvement were maintained on all outcome measures except total FIQ scores after treatment.
    * At 12 weeks follow–up, only improvements in the BDI and SF–36 scores were present in the sham group.