FM; MADE THE ENSURE NEWSLETTER

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shirl, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Shirl

Shirl New Member

MANAGING FIBROMYALGIA
    By Marti Andrews, PhD, RD

Approximately four million Americans have Fibromyalgia (fi-bro-mi-al-ja), a chronic condition characterized by pa in in the joints, muscles and other soft tissues. Women are much more likely to be affected than men and, although Fibromyalgia can appear at any age, the chances of developing it increase as a person ages.

The exact causes of fibromualgia are unknown and there are no scientifically proven steps to prevent it, but treatment and management of the condition continue to expand.

The pain of fibromyalgia is similar to arthritis pain and can range from mild to severe. Stiffness and pain usually appear gradually. People with fibromualgia tend to wake up with body aches and stiffness. Sleep problems are also a common symptom. Other symptoms include fatigue, headaches, numbness in the hands and feet, depression and anxiety.

For some, fibromyalgia pain improves during the day but increases during the evening. Pain can be made worse by stress, fatigue, physical strain and overuse.

There are many ways that people with fibromyalgia are finding relief. Treatments differ from person to person and may include a combination of approaches, including medications, nutritional therapies and physical activities to help diminish discomfort and pain.

TAke a look at th insert on the right for some of the ways to alleviate fibromyalgia symptoms and live a better life.

For more information on fibromyalgia, call the Fibromyalgia Network at; 1-800-853-2929.

---------------------------------------------------------

WAYS TO MANAGE FIBROMYALGIA

1.Aerobic exercise seems to help fibromyalgia suffers by reducing muscle aches and stiffness. The best way to begin a fitness program is to start with low-impact exercises like walking and swimming.

2. Eating a well-balanced diet and avoiding caffeine may help reduce the severity of the symptoms as well as help you sleep.

3. Some reports indicate that fish oil, magnesium/malic acid combinations of vitamins may be effective in alleviating symptoms.

4. Reducing stress may help reduce fibromyalgia symptoms.

5. Medications can help you sleep better and relieve pain.

6. Counseling can help you learn to manage chronic pain.

Thought some of you would appreciate the fact that we at least get a mention in this wide spread newsletter!

I have been reading this for years, and never have I seen an article on FM or CFS in it.

Shalom, Shirl

2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You guys are always looking for recognition, well here is a news letter with a huge circulation (as it is a free newsletter!), and you did not even acknowledge all my effort of typing this out :(

Shalom, Shirl

3. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

I just got on and here is a great start to my evening's reading! Is great to see that they not only put us in but also did a good job of explaining it w/out demeaning us or throwwing in something negative (which is often the case when we do get recog.). Thanks for sharing, and just for the record I do appreciate the effort as I KNOW it just isn't fun to sit and type that much with this dd! :)
    Love and peace, Rebel
  4. HURTSALOT2

HURTSALOT2 New Member

I am always looking for something like this to read. Glad you shared it with us. Also, I would like to compliment you on typing all that information in a form easy for us to read. Somehow, I missed it last night.
    HURTSALOT2
    [This Message was Edited on 07/18/2003]
  5. Nana61

Nana61 New Member

I want you to know that I really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about this. I found this board by doing all of the reasearh that I could on the internet. When I found this site it was like a breath of fresh air.
    Thanks againg for sharing this with us. It is so hard to find anything positive about FMS and CFS.
    Nana
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just saw this and want to thank you for all your hard work to share it with us.

Love, Mikie