FM/MPS/CFIDS/TMJ Patients have you ever had......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MysticHummingbird, Jan 29, 2003.

1. MysticHummingbird

MysticHummingbird New Member

have any of you with the dx'd disorder above had severe feeling of....oh how do I explain this feeling, it is really weird. A feeling like A Zap or Electric Zinging feeling in your head and then get promptly dizzy right after????? I don't know if I am having a siesure or what! At this point, after all that I've been through nothing would surprise me though. If you haven't had it ask around for me please. I don't even want to ask the doctors anymore.
    thanx very much
    [This Message was Edited on 01/29/2003]
  2. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Just feel like your gonna faint or die on the spot!
    Wish I had an answer for that one. It's very difficult to explain to someone else...especially once your better!

I think most of us go though this to one degree or another.
    Could be a combo of low Blood Pressure, adrenal stress, low blood sugar or a number of other things. If these symtoms are new for you, maybe you could type them out and fax them to your doctor??

Good luck!

Susan B
  3. Chrissy2

Chrissy2 New Member

Yes! I have also experienced the funky electric zap thing in my head. It happens when I am almost asleep. I have started to dream and then **ZAP** -- I get hit with what feels like an electric charge in my head. I don't know if it's related, but I also get other weirdness when I am almost asleep--my head, leg, arm, etc. will just suddenly go **JERK**, then I wake up. Sometimes I start dreaming that I am falling off something, then my body does the jerk thing, and I wake up.

:eek:)
    Chrissy
  4. Chrissy2

Chrissy2 New Member

Just wanted to share that I had another funky electric zap last night. I was almost asleep when my head felt an "electric" shock, and I saw bright light for a brief second. It came and went so fast that it was like turning a light on and off.
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

....but without the feeling of dizziness afterward. But I get that electric zap thing, sometimes my head, also other places in my body. I think those of us that experience more of the neuro-type symptoms get these things pretty regularly, and they do feel weird & are hard to explain to doctors. I've had brain & total spine MRI'd, complete neuro testing----all negative, I just now chalk it up to one of the many strange facets of FM....

You are not alone with this one!

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

...and I can't tell you how many times I have heard this one. You are not alone. I would say at least 25% of us have this problem at some point, usually right as we are drifting off to sleep. It is called a hypnogogic hallucination, and is a sign of having a sleep disorder. Everyone I have ever talked to about it hears the electric buzz like a wire shorting, except me. I hear a slamming door!
    My feeling is that whatever you are taking to help with the sleep problem is not doing the job, and should be reevaluated. I have not had this problem for many years now, since I am taking enough medication to get some sleep.
    Klutzo
  7. aprilhuque

aprilhuque New Member

I also heard that this is a side effect of Paxil.

Nosy,
    April Huque
  8. sofy

sofy New Member

Several times I had that. It was painful and would cause me to drop whatever I had and grab my head. Sometimes it went into the ear. The pain was intense but seemed to be more on the scalp rather than deep inside the head, except for the ear thing. (I always pictured a lightening bolt)It only lasted for a few minutes and then all ok. I too read it could be a side effect of paxil or prozac. I was on 60mg of prozac at the time and tapered off to nothing because it didn't do anything positive for me. It has been several months since I cycled off the prozac and have not had another since and I'm sure I never had them until I started prozac. I never equated the two until I read something here and then it was "Oh yeah, duh!!!"
  9. nje

nje New Member

YES I`VE HAD IT,AND YOU ARE THE FIRST PERSON THAT EVER HAD THIS THAT POSTED. IT FEELS LIKE GOOSEBUMPS ALL TINGLING TOGETHER IN MY HEAD,WEIRD,I DONT FEEL THEM AS MUCH NOW,BECAUSE THEY CHANGE MY MEDS SO MUCH,BUT I HAVE GOOD SLEEP MEDS SO I DON`T FEEL IT BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP. BUT I DO HAVE HORRIFIC NIGHTMARES,I DON`T HAVE DREAMS JUST NIGHTMARES. BUT I AM DIZZY AT TIMES DURING THE DAY,AND OFF BALANCE,FILL LIKE I`M WALKING DOWNHILL. THIS IS THE AWFULEST DISEASE TO TRY TO EXPLAIN TO PEOPLE THAT DON`T HAVE IT,THEY LOOK AT YOU LIKE,DUHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! EVEN MY FAMILY HAD DOUBTS FOR A LONG TIME, AND THEY STILL MAY HAVE THEM,I`VE COME TO THE CONCLUSION I KNOW HOW I FEEL,AND NOBODY THAT DON`T HAVE IT,WELL BUMP THEM;I`M TIRED OF FEELING LIKE A HYPOCHONDRIACH,AND MADE TO FEEL LIKE I`M LYING,OR JUST LAZY. HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER, NJE
  10. ozgran

ozgran New Member

I get that feeling. Usually out of the blue and during the day. Like you say a zing or zap feeling that goes for what seems ages but which I am sure is seconds. A real ZZZZZZZZZZ
    and then a feeling of giddiness briefly. My Dr decided it was something inner ear and gave me Serc, but boy Oh boy did that upset me. He is still away on holidays so doesn't know what happened. I sometimes wonder if it is some sort of mild siezure. My youngest son has seizures and it looks like my 8 year old grandaughter may also be having them. They say it can run in families so maybe I am the cause. Will watch with interest for any other replies or an answer.
    Love ozgran.