FM, MS, Or Vasculitis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PAT, Aug 27, 2002.

1. PAT

PAT New Member

Hello! I have not been here in a very long time.I don't know if those of the old group are here, but I have some information for everyone.
    I was diagnosed with FM about 10 yrs.ago. At the time a neuro said I probably have MS, and it would show itself one day.I have had new symptoms the past few mos. and old symptoms getting worse.EVERYTHING that happens, my internist blames on FM. Even contradicts herself about what FM symptoms can be. Anyway. I had an MRI last week and it did not show MS, but Vasculitis (swollen blood vessels) of my brain. Research I have done shows that this condition is OFTEN mistaken for MS!!!! However, it is deadly if not treated. I now know that all my new probs. are directly related to this vasculitis. Please, if you are being told that you may have MS, but it's not showing up yet, request an MRI to make sure it's nothing else.Some of the symptoms are: weight loss, myalgia, swallowing difficulties, pain in a particular limb, usually arm, that is burning, causes weakness, sensation probs. Headaches, cognitive trouble...Those are just basic ones that can also be mistaken for other things.
    I hope this info can save someone else the trouble I have had. Patti G
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2002]
  2. PAT

PAT New Member

Hello! I have not been here in a very long time.I don't know if those of the old group are here, but I have some information for everyone.
    I was diagnosed with FM about 10 yrs.ago. At the time a neuro said I probably have MS, and it would show itself one day.I have had new symptoms the past few mos. and old symptoms getting worse.EVERYTHING that happens, my internist blames on FM. Even contradicts herself about what FM symptoms can be. Anyway. I had an MRI last week and it did not show MS, but Vasculitis (swollen blood vessels) of my brain. Research I have done shows that this condition is OFTEN mistaken for MS!!!! However, it is deadly if not treated. I now know that all my new probs. are directly related to this vasculitis. Please, if you are being told that you may have MS, but it's not showing up yet, request an MRI to make sure it's nothing else.Some of the symptoms are: weight loss, myalgia, swallowing difficulties, pain in a particular limb, usually arm, that is burning, causes weakness, sensation probs. Headaches, cognitive trouble...Those are just basic ones that can also be mistaken for other things.
    I hope this info can save someone else the trouble I have had. Patti G
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2002]
  3. thereseuk

thereseuk New Member

Its so frustrating isnt it when we are told we have one thing and then its changed to something else and then to something else. I just wish that the medical proffession would catch up instead of messing us around this way AND with potentially serious conditions. Grrr.
    Anyway enough of the rant[sorry]. My immunologist suspects something vascular and I have vascu;litis in the back of my mind. I,ve had an mri but this was done without a dye so although it showed nothing structurally wrong I dont think it would have shown any blood vessel problems. Thank god you finally go a diagnosis. What is the treatment for this. I, be interested to know because I mean to take this up with my doctor.
    love therese
  4. TracyV

TracyV New Member

I have learned so much from this site. I hope you get the problems under control, how is it treated?
    Hugs,
    Tracy
  5. brightlights

brightlights New Member

I always thought vasculitis was something worse than swollen blood vessels. Doesn't the -itis suffix mean that it's inflammed? If so, you'd better get it checked out. I would think that one of the blood tests, like SED rate, would be high if you had vasculitis.

Sandra
  6. PAT

PAT New Member

This vasculitis has so many different forms, it can affect the skin, organs and major blood vessels. The kind my MRI showed was in the brain. It is treated with high doses of Prednisone and immunosupressants. They do a brain biopsy to positively diagnose and find the degree of damage. I am so anxious to find a neurologist.Lynda, I will defintely look into this polymyositis. I want to be darn sure of ANY diagnosis I get since I can't always trust my docs. My doc called last night and said my x-rays and CT scan of my spine Fri.also showed Arthritis in my spine. I swear, it never ends. And I'm only 35 yrs. old. It good to be back here. You all are so supportive and informative. Thank you! Patti G