FM & MS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KristinLee, Feb 26, 2003.

1. KristinLee

KristinLee New Member

I was diagnosed with FM about a year and a half ago, and had the classic trigger points, flu like chills, and tired, etc. This past fall I was diagnosed with MS due to an MRI with lesions on the brain, and various cognitive and coordination problems. My question is: Can you have both or does one masquerade as the other?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is very common for someone with MS to also have FMS. Some docs now believe that CFIDS, FMS, MS, Lupus, and a whole bunch of other illnesses are all related. It is also common to for people with Lupus to have FMS.

An autoimmune response to a stealth infection in the body can trigger MS and Lupus. These stealth infections often trigger CFS/FMS. Mine was triggered by a mycoplasma infection. I am very concerned about an overreaction by my own immune system when I am finally off the Doxycycline for good.

There have been people with FMS who are diagnosed with MS only to be told later by their docs that they don't have MS. I don't know whether this is because their MS goes into remission or the docs made a mistaken diagnosis. People with FMS also can have lesions which show up on MRI's and scans and we also have cognitive and balance/coordination problems. This makes it hard to diagnose.

Love, Mikie