FM on Science Based Medicine Blog

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Nov 18, 2010.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

There is an article about Fibromyalgia on the Science Based Medicine Blog about Fibromyalgia. The article is a response to an article in Huffington Post about treating FM with homeopathic medicines, but that it discusses FM and it also mentions allodynia which has been mentioned on this board and want to get more information about this disorder.

If you want to debate homeopathy, please do this on another thread. Basically, the below is all that is needed to read as it is the only part that deals with the medical communities take on FM.

I have broken the paragraphs in the article for easier reading.

"Basically, fibromyalgia is a somewhat amorphous syndrome, labeled a syndrome rather than a disease because we don’t have a good handle yet on the mechanisms resulting in the condition and there are no characteristic diagnostic tests that nail down the diagnosis.

In brief, fibromyalgia is a condition of chronic pain and allodynia, which is a heightened painful response to a stimulus that doesn’t normally cause pain. In the case of fibromyalgia, that stimulus is pressure.

Other symptoms can include tingling of the skin, muscle spasms, limb weakness, nerve pain, muscle twitching, palpitations, bowel disturbances, and sleep disturbances.

Because of the plethora of symptoms that can fall under the mantle of a fibromyalgia diagnosis and the lack of scientific consensus on its cause or specific physical findings or lab abnormalities that define the disease, there are some physicians who do not accept fibromyalgia as a defined syndrome.

In my own anecdotal experience, this number seems to be decreasing. Most physicians appear to accept fibromyalgia as a syndrome, even though most don’t know how to treat it.

2. roge

roge Member

there is more to it than heightened pain sensitivity. there is actual evidence of abnormal muscle and facia dysfunction and some believe it is this peripheral dysfunction that leads the central pain amplification.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You can find the article by going to the article I cited.