FM or CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pat UK, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Pat UK

Pat UK New Member

I have been on this site for over 2 years now and it seems to me that there are more people here with FM than CFS, does anyone else think this?
    Pat.
  2. Pat UK

Pat UK New Member

I have been on this site for over 2 years now and it seems to me that there are more people here with FM than CFS, does anyone else think this?
    Pat.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I don't know the answer to your query, but what you said would be logical. The last figures I saw for the U.S.A. were 228,000 cases of CFS and 6-10 million of FMS, depending upon whose stats you use.
    BTW, I have been dx'd with FMS only, but like about 70% of folks with FMS, I fit the new CDC definitions for CFS. The old ones were much stricter and most FMSers did not qualify.
    Klutzo
  4. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I have cfids only & most here seem to have fm - while I know some consider them the same illness, I don't connect with all the muscle aches & things. I also noticed a lot say they developed both over the years which scares me - I would hate to deal w/severe pain on top of my cfids symptoms.
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

The figures I have seen have shown a much higher figure for FM than for CFS. I happen to have both, but the CFS is definitely the most debilitating. That is not to say that I am not in pain. I am in almost constant pain, depite taking Ultram 4 times a day and Flexeril and Neurontin at night only, due to the fatigue factor in both.

Barbara
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Both here---it's a toss up as to which is the most debilitating to me---sure hate the pain, but exhaustion is the pits too!
    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Karen
  7. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I was originally diagnosed with FMS. But as time went on, I developed the overwhelming fatigue. I just thought it was part of FMS. But the last time I saw my family doctor, he said I have CFS. My FMS symptoms are the primary problem, but every few weeks I'll start to get the overwhelming fatigue. It eventually goes away, but I do notice that it doesn't go away permanently. Maybe both conditions co-exist together?
  8. alsu

alsu New Member

Hi pat
    I to have both. FM is the major one so i talk manly about that but am very interested in hearing about CFS.This is possibly one reason the site seams the way it is.A lot of us have both.Lets hope we can all help each other,as both FMS&CFS are hard to live with.

alsu (west midlands) U.K
  9. lucky

lucky New Member

first diagnosed with CFS and a few years later with FMS also. But, the CFS is the main problem in my case with the terrible fatigue at times. However, I do like the computer and can be active for a little while on it due to meds I am taking, without them there would be a constant battle with brain fog, etc. and little concentration.
    Lucky