FM or Depression? Docs determine your pain!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by unbalanced, Nov 25, 2005.

1. unbalanced

unbalanced New Member

I have recently noticed the commercials about depression causing physical pain. Maybe this is true, but what is going to happen to those of us who have fibro? Are docs going to misdiagnose? Are fibro patients going to be told it really isnt fibro, its depression after all? Fibro & depression go hand in hand, anyone with chronic pain for whatever reason, has some degree of depression. Am I the only one concerned that the awareness about fibro & the steps that have moved us forward with this illness, are going to be "taken" away because of these commercials? I have had a long hard battle, still do, this frightens me that now I for sure wont be able to get a doc to listen & provide proper care to me.
  2. mahx

mahx New Member

you are not the only one concerned ---
    I was dx--with depression several yrs ago---had been told that physical pain was part of it---so i just accepted it.
    A few weeks ago--i was tired of being tired all the time--and hurting so much---even on anti-dep. meds------i got on the internet and started researching-----found this site.
    Between this message board and the chat room, also some other research---I've learned soooo much..I had never heard of fibro or cfs--before---now i am 100% sure i have both----my doc appt isn't until Dec 5---my doc.s nurse didn't sound to interested in my thoughts---we'll see what happens.
    keep in touch and Stay strong.
  3. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Depression wouldn't have the FM constelation of trigger points, would it?

Also, with depression you're less motivated. In FM you think you can do more than you really can, and may push yourself past your limits.
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

This is too funny .... This is the third time today I have seen a blanket statement of fibro patients also have depression .... BUT ... the depression did not cause the fibro ... the fibro caused the depression.

There are many of us who do not suffer depression who also happen to have CFS/FM. I truly, truly was cool (and still am) with my diagnosis because it is not life threatening.

I have seen those commercials ... I don't seem to be bothered by them. I understood and knew about the possible symptoms of depression long before I knew about fibromyalgia's possible symptoms.

People with depression can experience pain, for whatever reason ... and the pain will feel real without any obvious injury ... Fibro pain does not have any obvious injury either .... But they are not the same.

Actually, I don't think these commercials are going to make things more difficult where doctors potentially are concerned ... This psych / physiological debate has been going on a long time..... A drug company's commercial isn't going to influence that.

What I think the commercials are interested in is having people with chronic pain (not necessarily fibro)see it and perhaps being the type that doesn't like or cannot tolerate narcotic pain meds, will hear about XYZ Anti-Depressant treating pain and ask their doctor for some. BINGO! More money ... creating a bigger off label crowd of supporters.

These commercials don't bother me. They just don't have that much influence over my life. Also, pharmaceutical companies leaning towards an off label use don't bother me either. But, they better be oh so slick about how they present them. Promoting for off label use is illegal. If a healthcare provider is easily influenced by them ... well, I think I'll just move on to the next one! LOL

It will be OK. If someone mentions something derogatory about your fibro because of these commercials just look them in the eye ... smile softly and ask them if that is really what they believe ... then don't say anything ... keep looking them in the eye and smiling and waiting for their answer. They will talk themselves silly proving they didn't mean it ... silence makes people wiggle like a worm on a hook!

Take care,

Elsa
    [This Message was Edited on 11/25/2005]
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I had bouts of depression since childhood, which settled into yearly SAD into my 20's. The pain didn't come until I developed FM.

i'm in SAD mode since fall and actually have less severe pain and many more painkiller free days than before it started. IBS is worse, but there's just no correlation to the pain part. I've known many people w/ just depression, none of them have pain, none.

jeanne
  6. millennia

millennia New Member

I understand your concern. I was originally misdiagnosed as being depressed. Well I was depressed, but my doctors just thought everything else was in my head. It was great to finally have a doctor take my pain seriously. I'd hate to see any setbacks in that. And even if you aren't depressed, if you're a woman there is good reason to be concerned about this issue. Women are misdiagnosed as their symptoms being psychological, when in reality they are physical, at an alarming rate. It is crazy that in this day and age some doctors still view us as hysterical women.
  7. sues1

sues1 New Member

I still think that CFIDS is more questionable to the medical field than Fibro. Fibro is becoming more acceptable all the time.About everyone has heard of it or knows someone that truely suffers because of it.

Mmmmmm..I can not imagine running a low grade fever because of depression....etc.

Chin up. There are doctors out there that really tries to help and belives in it.

Susan
  8. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

elsa's right about it being about money. the marketing departments of these drug companies sit down and analyze market segments, the bigger the better, and find a way to reach them. there simply isn't a bigger market segment in this country than "people in pain." tie depression to pain and WOILA! pennies from heaven!! capitalism, advertising, market segmentation, i'm not a fan of any of it, but i'll save that rant for another board :)

eddie
  9. elsa

elsa New Member

Just as an aside .... Making money .... capitalism doesn't bother me ... in fact it's what makes the wheels go round .... within reason.

Pharmaceuticals thinking of new ways to market their products is ok by me ... What they come up with in a commercial isn't going to touch me .... No offense intended here, but I am too smart to be lead around by a commercial.

Soooo , Eddie and I agree on the method, but disagree on whether it is a good thing or a bad thing .... AND THAT is what makes this a wonderous and exciting world to live in!

Elsa

PS ... Eddie, Good to hear from you. How are you feeling? Last I remember, you were dealing with bad infection, difficulty breathing issues. Are you improving? Hope so .... E.
  10. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

YOU are smart enough not to be fooled by slick ads, but 99% of the population isn't! i'm really not an opponent of capitalism, i'm more an advocate of free thought and wish more people would make CONSCIOUS decisions. the free market preys on this lack of conscious decision making, but you're right, businesses have every right to be there. the consumer needs to take the power back!

thanks for asking about my health. i've determined that the breathing problems are costochondritis, very common around here. my ribs are sore to the touch whenever my breathing gets shallow so i'm pretty sure it's just a normal part of the fibro. it waxes and wanes and certain things seem to make it flare, but i'm back to regular acupuncture and hoping it resolves itself. sort of a shame though that i slammed on the brakes on all the meds and supplements i was taking just to find out it was a new symptom and not a side effect!

other than that, my new natural approach is sort of a disappointment so far, though i'm trying to remain patient. i have a lot less of the CFS symptoms these days, mostly dealing with the fibro. it seems the pain has a mind of its own and it all comes down to pain management, which is a very personal thing; meds, supps, exercise, whatever works for the individual is the way to go.

how are you feeling these days?

sorry for hijacking your post, unbalanced!

eddie
  11. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

There still are a lot of docs out there who don't believe in FMS, and I steer clear of them. I'm lucky to have found a good internist and a rheumy who specializes in FMS research, so I'm pretty well covered for the time being. They also recognize that any depression and anxiety I experience is secondary to the pain, fatigue, and resulting inability to function on a consistent basis.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to start the search all over again next year when I move to Asheville NC. But you can be sure I'll have that radar up for docs who don't believe that FMS is real!
  12. Bambi

Bambi New Member

that said depression and FM are two distinctly different things. I have seen so many recent findings that I wanted desperately to print out but my printer took a dive and I can't replace it right now. If possible I think we should make a file to carry to doctors, even those who believe and treat FM don't seem to get all the studies etc that come out.

I HAVE had major depression in my life, especially after the deaths of each of my parents. I believe it CAN cause physical pain as well as well as other things like dizziness, being off balance, accident proneness and all sorts of things. But it is NOT the same as true FM pain! I have everything from surface skin pain to what feels like deep in the bone and muscle with the FM..depression does NOT cause that degree of pain.

We just have to find and stick with doctors who know the difference, and will treat both if necessary and help us buck the system. "Just"? Haha.
  13. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Yeah -- I felt a real drop in my stomach when I saw the ads... pain is attributed to depression far too much of the time, and undertreated as a result. Most folks with depression do not suffer terrible physical pain, and many with terrible physical pain are not depressed (at least in terms of mood, etc.)

Interestingly, though, based on new research it does appear that anxiety/depression and FM share some central nervous system commonalities (serotonin and norepinephrine imbalances, for starters).... that is why some of the antidepressants are proving to be effective for pain in a certain portion of the population. I'm actually glad to see that there is research happening regarding the neurophysiological treatment of pain... I just wish they wouldn't label it "depression" -- that makes it sound as if an adjustment of mood would be enough to cure it.

14. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i have a friend who has been to see dr. james biddle at asheville integrative medicine and liked him a lot. you can look him up online at docbiddle and then that rather common internet suffix :)

eddie