FM Pain Improves With HRT?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CAAnnieB, Jan 28, 2009.

1. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Just curious if anyone has noticed their FM/ CFS symptoms improving after starting hormone replacement therapy for Menopausal symptoms...

I tried Black Cohosh for my Menopausal hot flashing...It worked very well for about a year. Then, no matter how much I upped the dosage of the supplement; it was no longer effective. I finally decided to try HRT.

The HRT has worked REALLY well on my hot flashes! (Almost eliminating them!) What I have also noticed is an improvement in my FM pain. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed that the HRT has had a positive effect on their FM CFS symptoms! Could just be a coincidence, but thought I'd ask...

Gentle Hugs,

2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Fibro is most common in post-menopausal women.

But not all fibro sufferers are PMW. And not all PMW get fibro. There still are other factors.

My fibro improved step-wise as I brought back to normal my estrogen, testosterone, thyroid hormones, and endorphins.

IMO there is a lot of fibro-symptoms suffering that results from hormonal problems.

Hope your improvement lasts!

3. well funny you ask, I was on a lowest dose of premarin, dr. took me off, and my pain has gone from bad to worse. I am really interested in bioidentical hormones but my dr. won't give them to me, she says they haven't been out long enough and safe. BUT I am watching Oprah, tomorrow another segment on them is on with Suzanne sommers, she swears by them. Must be nice to be rich and afford to go too any dr. From what I understand Oprah also is on them.
  4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i started bio identicals about 8 months ago. i had a total hysterectomy at 43,luckily there is a compounding pharmacy about 30 miles from me. Believe me my doc did not want me on them, said there was no such thing as bio identical.he tried pushing premarin down my throat, which after looking at all the stuff in his office with Premarin on it, i knew why. well he finally gave in & wrote me a script to go to the Compounding pharmacy. they did a saliva test to find out what i was deficient in, and so far, i have been doing great on them, no more hot flashes & night sweats, they were Horrible!! and also Bio identicals have been around for almost 60 years, just mostly in europe. we are definately behind times if a dr thinks something made from pregnant mares urine is safer than something from a plant, it all depends on what it looks like chemically under a microscope, and Bio identicals look just like our own hormones.... Pregnant mares urine absolutely does NOT!! they cost me about 120.00 every 3 months, and my ins dosent pay for them, they stopped paying for bio identicals in 07 ( aetna) and it's because they cant make enough money off something that a pharmaceutical Co cant patent, like Bio Identicals.they pump us full of synthetic estrogen and then wonder why we are all Dying from estrogen dominant breast cancer and heart disease??? give me Bio Identicals Any Day!!! Please watch Oprah tomorrow & then go hunting for a dr in your area that will prescribe them, where i live at, there is a list of about 30 dr's that will. and my town isnt that big, the trick is finding a compounding Pharmacy, good luck!!! Kat
    [This Message was Edited on 01/28/2009]
  5. jmq

jmq New Member

When I went on the was mainly for the hot flashes. I got TERRIBLE ones that came about every two hours. TOTALLY draining and I was so moody. The HRT almost immediately relieved them and now I barely have one. Unfortunately, the pain and fatique remained, but I could deal with it much better without the hot flashes and emotional swings.

What has helped me the most is Lyrica. I am now on 300mg a day and my pain is 50% less.

Good Luck
  6. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

As HRT can cause cancer....Prempro is the leading cause of it too. So, therefore, when a dr dictates to ME about non studies of bio identical...I then state the FDA did it with what?

remember the medical profession gets a kick back from the drug companies for ALL the scripts they write......fact.. my cousin works for one of the major drug companies and that is how I know as it was her job to cut the checks to the dr's.....

many blessing to all I am searching for bio dr said the same thing. blah ,blah, no FDA etc....well, its NOT his life on the line its mine
  7. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

My aunt was diagnosed one year after she started taking Prem-pro. The tumor in her breast was taken out and she did chemo and radiation. She states that when she saw her gyno dr. that she asked about the factors of cancer since my father passed away at 57 from a rare form of cancer. The dr. told her no way would this cause cancer.

My aunt has not taken any Prem-pro since her breast cancer and she is breast cancer free for 6 years. She firmly believes this caused her cancer and I do as well.

So, please ----- please be very careful with the Premarin. Do your own research as most dr.'s will only say it was a coincidence. Or like my aunt, her dr. was a woman and my aunt asked her, "do you believe this is safe and if you were in my shoes would you take this drug?" The woman dr. said she would have no problem taking the drug. Yeah, right.

I had a hysterectomy at 2006 and I'm 39. I refused to take any of the drugs. I finally came out and told my PCP about my aunt and since he knew of my father as well said absolutely DO NOT use Premarin.
  8. moi482001

moi482001 Member

I also aked this question but did not get a reply. Wondering about HRT since I saw the Oprah show. Don't by
  9. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

thanks Gran for the info, i will definately be looking into that.your right every little bit makes no sense that they dont wanna pay for it.