FM pain......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Golde58, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Golde58

Golde58 New Member

I have had CFS for about 11 years now. I pretty much always ache all over and when I crash I not only ache all over, but feel really flu like. My upper back feels like it cramps also.

For those of you who do have FM, can you describe what your pain feels like? Is it sharp pains, an arthritic type of pain or how would you describe it?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

2. petstoregirl

petstoregirl New Member

A lot of us have a few different pain feelings. Mine is a deep pain that feels like it's in the bones. But I also get aches, shooting pains, pains like something is bruised (but isn't). I know a lot of people get burning sensations, but usually I don't. Many of us (including me) get tight muscle feelings around our tender points.

I know I kinda felt like I had the flu aches when I first started having pain symptoms.

I'm still learning a lot about CFS, but I know you can have pain with it too. So, I wouldn't freak out too much just yet that you have both DD's. Maybe google for a tender point map and test yourself by putting a small bit of pressure on those areas with your thumb.
  3. jmq

jmq New Member

burning sensations or feeling like you have been beaten up
    sharp hip and lower back pain that shoot down my legs
    sharp stabbing pain in chest ribs
    bone deep pain in arms, hands and ankles
    bruise soar type pain in legs and pressure type
    neck pain and major spasms
    in mornings or after a long nap, my muscles stiffen so badly that I can barely reach for my glass of water next to my bed. This also wakes me up a few times at night.

I am pooped from thinking about it all...
  4. cmt49829

cmt49829 New Member

I do get alot of the sharp muscle kind of pain, but when I have my worst days the best description I can think of is, think how it feels when someone pinches you HARD... now imagine that pain from your head thru your toes..

some days I wake up and feel like someone has kicked me in the ribs..
  5. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Wow! jmq described it very well!

I have muscles from my head to chest that are hard and tight. They are in constant contraction/ spasm. Any movement of these muscles creates pain. The last 2 times I had trigger point injections, the Neurologist could hardly inject my shoulder/ neck muscles because they were hard as rock! He honestly had a difficult time getting the needle to inject into the muscle.

I also have joint and muscle pain in my arms, wrists, and hands. Doing anything with my arms & hands agrevates the pain. If I push on my muscles in my arms, they hurt and feel taut/ ropey. (Deep muscle pain.)

My lower back has pain (sharp & dull ), but I think it is more from buldging discs & arthritis than the FM.

The worst of my pain is in my upper body. (Especially my neck, shoulders, & upper back) It is very difficult to find a comfy position. It's uncomfortable to sit in most chairs. Driving or riding in my car is painful. Sleeping in bed is a real challenge. I keep waking up all night in pain, having to switch positions...

Gosh, this sounds like torture, huh? It is!

Oh...almost forgot to add in my IBS/ Intestinal pain when I eat food with gluten & dairy products.(right-sided, sharp abdominal pain) And stomach pain (gnawing) from many foods & meds...And my Migraines...and TMJ/ jaw pain!(jaw/ ear/ face/ head pain)

I hope you "only" have CFS! I'm sorry that you struggle with the CFS aches, along with everything else. These DD's are just the pits. I "tune out" much of my everyday pain...If I thought about it all the time, I'd be a wreck!

Gentle Hugs,
  6. mammabek

mammabek New Member

and dont you just hate the word "ONLY"? try to stay calm and give yourself time and "hopefully" it is "only" CFS
  7. Golde58

Golde58 New Member

Thanks for your replies. I know sometimes it is really hard to put into words how you feel. I'm sorry you have to deal with pain that intense every day. Is there any kind of meds or treatments that seem to help you???

After reading your replies, I have come to the conclusion I do only have CFS. I know many people think CFS and FM are the same. Perhaps they are somewhat related and many people suffer from both. After reading your posts I definitely only have the cfs which is hard enough to deal with!

I wish you all a happy holiday just as you would want it to be. Take care,

8. lsaxton65

lsaxton65 New Member

..aching pain in my back
    ..burning, stabbing, irritating numb feeling in my hips and outer thighs and knees
    ..deep burning, shooting, numbness in my shoulder(mainly left) which radiates all the way to my hand
    ..stiff achy joints
    ..bruised feeling
    ..deep to the bone pain mostly in my legs
    ..foot pain(like walking on nails)

forgot some...had a fibro moment LOL!
    .. heavy pain in my chest(like someone sat a brick on my chest
    ..pelvic pain (like someone's squeezing everything i got)
    ..bad migraines(for days even weeks) shooting jaw pains
    ..i will get these sharp,stabbing pains wherever and whenever
    ...all types of pains in my legs and feet when i am trying to sleep[This Message was Edited on 12/16/2007]
  9. pro_photog1970

pro_photog1970 New Member

I don't know how to describe it other than to say that I feel like it's a warm painful feeling like my muscles are being stretched and a pin being inserted in.
  10. bikrgrl

bikrgrl New Member

the pain varies so much, sometimes it's an all over ache. other times it's stabbing or shooting pain. other times it feels like nerve pain and still at other times it feels like joint pain. i don't think there's a type of pain that's not felt.