FM patient's have a higher than normal amount of mucous

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by david_olenick, Mar 28, 2003.

1. david_olenick

david_olenick New Member

Dear FM friends, I have over the past several years, have studied this disease considerably. I recently read that it is caused by the same gene that causes Cystic Fibrosis. It doesn't lead to CF but other studies found that FM patient's had a higher than normal amount of mucous secretions. I secret so much mucous that I had to use a towel instead of tissue.

I have found a treatment that if it was discovered today, the FDA would make us wait 5 years to use it. It's salt water.
    If you have allergies sinus infections etc. then put 1/2 teaspoon of salt into one measuring cup of hot water. The hot water will release the chlorine which is a gas and prevent the chlorine from irritating your nose. Keep the salt amount at a level that you don't even notice it. At the beginning you may have some irritation but after a few days you will get to appreciate it. Best to get a course of antibiotics from your Dr. to start. Then, spray the salt water and blow gently several times per day. Infected sinus' have a tendency to secret toxins due to infection. These toxins are then sent to the Lymphatic system, causing pain in your jaw , lymph nodes, but also burning in the shoulders because the body can't process the toxins fast enough.
    From all I have gathered FM is a genetic disease.
    My nephew is a Commandant in the Navy and has been diagnosed at Bethesda Hosp. with FM. He called his sister and they evaluated her and said she has it too. Also Non steroid anti inflammatory, tylenol, motrin etc, irritate me severely. And I've read scientific articles suggesting that they will aggravate FM. So, you may be given Vicodin and get relief but later the ecetominophen or what ever NSAI will aggrevate your symptoms.
    Cheers to anybody who tries the salt water. You will be pleasantly surprised!
    Regards
    David
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for the tip. I'm originally from the Denver area, the sinus capitol of the world. The head of the ENT Dept. of the Univ. of Colorado School of Medicine has said that this salt water treatment is the by far the most important thing one can do to prevent sinus infections.

Love, Mikie
  3. seminolegal

seminolegal New Member

An allergist years ago told me about shooting salt water up the nostrils for sinus problems(in mycase due to vasomotor rhinitis). He said to mix a teaspoon of salt in lukewarm water(one cup) and then,using a nasal aspirator, to shoot it up each nostril as many times as the solution lasts. Repeat if necessary. It really loosens up the mucus and does keep infections at bay. Be careful of drippage, however!

Thank you, David, for reminding me of this.

Take care, all.
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

I agree! I use the nasal salt water flushes every other day~ Its the only thing that helps get that junk otta there! It feels good to me too. Funny you should say that certain pain relievers aggravate it~Because i'd sware that I have alot more post nasal drip and even mucus coughed up from wherever??? Well geez! whats a person to do then for pain meds?I have had my pain level at 8 for weeks now,I don't even wanna find out what it would be without meds!!
    I must be in a flare.....I literally ache from head to feet!!Alot of mid/upper back pain,lower ribs,low back,legs,etc.(I really could go on....but i'll spare the board this time~lol)Even my Darvecet are'nt doing much.I need two at a time for any relief.
    Anyway,thanks for the post! Reminds me to do my salt tonight!
    Take care.....
    regards,
    Tracey
  5. judywhit

judywhit New Member

glad you mentioned the CF connection. A gal who has fms told me her doctor told her there is a connection with the CF gene and fms. I thought she was nuts because she acts kinda nuts :) She always is like foaming at the mouth with secreations. I thought it was all the meds she was on.
    thanks for bringing this up.
  6. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I agree, entirely with your description of increased mucus...I have to use the saline solution about every hour to keep from having too much buildup..and since, antihistamines don't do much good..But, where do you get the nasal aspirator, Seminolegal? I have just been using a nose dropper, which probably does not reach the higher passages...

But, I am seeing an improvement in the mucus buildup blockage, I had so frequently, with the Olive Leaf Extract..I am presuming that it is killing or rendering helpless some of the fungal bad guys that were lurking up there...(see Mayo Clinic's research on chronic sinusitis from fungal causation, posted awhile back by Carla if interested)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/29/2003]
  7. harmony58

harmony58 New Member

Both my aunt and uncle died of cystic fibrosis when they were little. I'm a carrier on the paternal side. I wasn't aware of the connection with CFS. Do you have any specific sources for more information?

Kathie

8. david_olenick

david_olenick New Member

Kathie, I knew before I checked my email I would be asked this question.
    I searched the internet to find this but came up with nothing. I promise however that I usually use reliable sources such as the NIH, CDC, AMA, UCLA, Harvard school of medicine, and others that I can't remember. I may have heard it on TV but you know how short they are on time and it would have been so brief. I promise you that I did read it and they even gave the gene number, like 23 or 45. I hope you find it for us. If you do please post it. I was just thinking, I could have written a very comprehensive book if I would have copied all of the info I've read. But, with all of the hard drive failures I've had I would have lost it anyway. Thank god for CDRW's.
    David
    [This Message was Edited on 03/31/2003]
  9. Dara

Dara New Member

a baby syringe, like those ones with a bulb at the end, that's the only way I can think of to describe it. Plantscaper was asking what it is that you use for the nasal saltwater flush. I don't even know now if I described it right, it's late, but I think it's called a syringe.

Dara
  10. david_olenick

david_olenick New Member

I have been treated for allergies for over 20 yrs. My allergist got to old and I was refered to another dr. He said,"david, come into my office. i want to talk to you about dr. x."
    He told me Dr. X has been treating infected sinus' using desentizing process' while actually most of his patients had infected sinus' and they we would react to anything from dust to horse hair. Beconase had recently came on the market and he told me to use it to open my infected sinus' and that I was allergic to horse hair, dust mites and a few others that was not the source of my nasal problems.
    There is a nebilizer available called sinuEB that puts antibiotics dierectly on teh mucous. The nebulizer is only $55 but the antibiotics are 200/ week.
    Fungi "Mold" will irritate your sinus but not infect them. The mold causes swelling and then the anarobic bacteria are allowed t multiply. I tried to get sinuEB but my insurance won't pay for it. I called my Dr. and got some antibiotics, then poured the nasl spray solution out of the bottled, filled it with salt water and haven't had relief like I have now since I was a child. I wouldn't recommend the sinueb due to the expense and I have had such luck using a course of antibiotics and the salt water. I have to spray several times / day but if I feel the slightest itch or run, I grab it and spray. It takes commitment but quickly worth it.
    Regards
    avid
  11. david_olenick

david_olenick New Member

I have been treated for allergies for over 20 yrs. My allergist got to old and I was referred to another dr. He said,"david, come into my office. i want to talk to you about dr. x."
    He told me Dr. X has been treating infected sinus' using desentizing process' while actually most of his patients had infected sinus' and they we would react to anything from dust to horse hair. Beconase had recently came on the market and he told me to use it to open my infected sinus' and that I was allergic to horse hair, dust mites and a few others that was not the source of my nasal problems.
    There is a nebulizer available called sinuEB that puts antibiotics directly on the mucous. The nebulizer is only $55 but the antibiotics are 200/ week.
    Fungi "Mold" will irritate your sinus but not infect them. The mold causes swelling and then the anaerobic bacteria are allowed to multiply. I tried to get sinuEB but my insurance won't pay for it. I called my Dr. and got some antibiotics, then poured the nasal spray solution out of the bottled, filled it with salt water and haven't had relief like I have now since I was a child. I wouldn't recommend the sinueb due to the expense and I have had such luck using a course of antibiotics and the salt water. I have to spray several times / day but, if I feel the slightest itch or run, I grab it and spray. It takes commitment but quickly worth it. I also doubled up on my antihistamines for 3 days while takig the antibiotics to speed up my healing process
    Regards
    david
  12. david_olenick

david_olenick New Member

My Dr. has told me for years,"What works for some people, pin meds, won't work for others. The best relief I get is using Vicodin but I went to a Dr. with hip, knee and ankle pain. He asked me 100 questions. I thought aboutDarvocette and briefly mentioned it. He said,"No D can help you when V won't !" He gave me 120 and after 3 years of pain the D worked. However it is not enough for FM syndrome.
    I take V daily and D when I need it and soma when I go to bed. the improvement is dramatic especially when a new Dr. decides to stop all meds and you're thrown back into that pain cycle.
    One Dr. said Soma is addictive. It is not and any Dr. that says that should be fired. I called the local pharmacist and I was surprised when he said,"NO! It's not habit forming, it's for people who've been injured as in a car accident.
    I know the prejudice against pain. More money is being spent on The war on drugs but there is no the war on pain. People think pain is a badge of honor and we are simply complaining sissy's.
    Please ask for more medications. Many people , like myself think we are lazy, or crazy. I spent thousands of dollars on psychotherapy.
    My mother took my nephew to a dermatologist and said,"He's very cranky!" He said,"Look at his back, how would you be if you were in that much pain?"
    Thanks
    David
  13. david_olenick

david_olenick New Member

Go to a Dollarstore or grocery store. By the salt water spray and a decongestant. Spray the salt water, then blow immediately. Do this a couple of times and then spay the nasal spray to open your sinus cavities then spray with the saline solution and do it when you feel even the slightest itch.
    I poured the decongestant out and used the bottle for my salt water. Don't use to much salt when you make your own.
    It will irritated you and is not any better. 1/2 teaspoon of salt to 1 Full measuring cup of HOT water. Allow the water to cool down then you always have your med when you need it.And, no prescription required : )
    You can become dependent on OTC nasal sprays. they will cause you to swell eventually. So, use them sparingly. If you are already dependent on them then stop. In about 3 days you will see and improvement. I was so addicted that I wouldn't leave the house without em. I won't use the OTC nasal spray anymore unless I have to to get the infection down. Then I would stop.

[ advertisement ]