FM Perimenopause

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sslibrarian, Sep 5, 2008.

1. sslibrarian

sslibrarian New Member

Does anybody have any experience with increasing symptoms close to that of perimenopause? Has anybody been diagnosed with perimenopause after the on-set of fibromyalgia?

2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

All my doctor can do is give me a blood test that tells her that I'm not in menopause yet but I guarantee you that I am in perimeno and it has made my Sx so much worse, and i've gained tons of weight for the first time in my life, i've blown up like a balloon.

The doctors are often pretty clueless about perimeno, i found out alot online. Try Googling for Perimenopause message boards. They share many Sx with us, at least those who are having a bad time with it do.

Bad perimeno seems to run in families a lot too. Also, chronic illnesses can bring on early meno and make the Sx worse.

I hate it... I want my body and my life and my mind back!

What a number this stuff does to your head too! It causes major rage and depression. It's been unreal.

The mild CFS I had for a decade before this was bad but nothing compared to severe FMS, and bad perimeno and now my CFS is severe as well.

3. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

and my symptoms get dramatically worse right before and during my period - a total of about 17 days a month . My doctor said we could try hormonal supplement if I would like to .I don't know though , it seems like it would just be one more thing to mess with that might make my system go more out of wack.

4. hensue

hensue New Member

Mine was early 39 or 40 no hot flashes. Just spotting and bleeding off and on. He said you are peri. I wanted to go duh! Took out uterus it was thickening due to internal endometriosis inside the uterus. that helped a lot. I believe this was a trigger for me when i got sick. Plus my dad was dying of cancer. Working full time two boys you know the drill. So all of it combined here i am. Thank God no more peri. though that stuff will make you crazy. My sister is 40 she is going through it now. She is like a crazy woman, i think she will kill someone about 4 or 5 days before she starts. Her periods are getting extremely heavy. I told her she needed a new gyno they could do something for her. Cant they?
  5. kel78

kel78 Member

You betcha! My FM used to be pretty manageable. If the trigger points in my legs got sore, I'd go for a run and they'd feel better. But about 10 years ago, I started noticing changes in my monthly patterns and symptoms, and ever since then all sorts of new FM symptoms have started or worsened. For one thing, I can't run anymore or I get intermittent spells of severe nausea, as well as spotting shortly after a run. In addition, I now seem to suffer from chronic fatigue as well as FM. It's just one thing after another.

And now severe depression has joined my list of symptoms, but I feel hopeless to do anything about it. I can't talk to any doctors about it because if they knew how bad I feel, they'd want me on medication - which I'd have to refuse because I have intolerable effects from just about any kind of drug I try. And I really don't want to have to argue with a doctor about how a drug couldn't possibly cause the things I say they cause in me. (Does anyone else notice drugs having delayed effects - like a day later - such as a sustained adrenaline rush or what feels like constant electrical zaps in your brain or throughout your body?) Being told I'm imagining these things just makes me more suicidal than I already feel.

It's really frustrating because doctors seem to understand even less about perimenopause than they do about FM and chronic fatigue. Put all 3 together and it's hopeless!

6. BethM

BethM New Member

I've had fibro for many years, and always had flare-ups when I was pre-menstrual. I was on non-stop, low dose oral contraceptives for several years, with occasional breaks to allow a period, because the fibro symptoms got so bad pre-menstrually.

My doc convinced me to go off the hormones for awhile, and I agreed with her, as we needed to see if I was, indeed, still cycling. Yep, no question there, menopause is still some time away, comes later than usual in my family. But lately, 2 weeks or more out of 4 in a cycle, I'm miserable, with high pain levels, extreme fatigue, and this cycle, depression. I think I'm just exhausted with the whole thing. I'm about ready to go back on hormones for awhile, just to get some relief.

I've been taking Remifemin for several months, and I hope it's helping, but I'm not sure. I'm still looking for non-drug relief, but tonight I'd take almost anything. (More Darvocet tonight, probably...)

I'd love some answers, but I know that most others here who are dealing with the same thing are also searching. Just venting helps, to others who understand and don't look crosseyed at me, like I'm nuts. Thank you all for 'listening'. I think I need to go talk to a GYN doc. It's time for that yearly visit anyway.

Peace, Beth.
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I have had FM for 22 years and have been in perimenopause for 7 years now. The worst part are the hot flashes that got sooooo intense over the years that my sleep went from bad to worse. I used to be able to go to sleep and I would wake up every 2 hours. Now I can't even go to sleep, and if I do, I wake up even more frequently and can't get back to sleep.

The lack of sleep in turn, causes more pain, stiffness and soreness,etc.

I do not want to take hormone replacement and I avoid soy due to sensitivities.

I am going to have a sleep study done in the coming months so maybe I can get something to help with that problem. I have tried lots of things.

I do believe that perimenopause does increase the symptoms of FM due to hormonal imbalance and lack of sleep.
  8. BethM

BethM New Member

I truly hear you, about lack of sleep from the perimenopause symptoms increasing the fibro problems. When I read your post, I realized that my night sweats have mostly ceased, since taking the Remifemin. It's black cohosh, not a soy base. As always, I can't be sure that is the reason for the improvement, as there are just so many variables. However, it could be!
  9. celeste1226

celeste1226 New Member

i have been going thru menopause for 11 years now. I was 28 when I started menopause. I am now 39. And I still get the hot flashes mood swings etc, etc... I was just diagnosed with FM 2 months ago. and I think FM made my menopause worse. I am on the combipatch. Hormone Replacement Therapy. And I like it better than pills. I change my patch twice a week. without my patch the FM is really really bad. with the patch its bad but tollerable. Hope this helps.