FM: Requip

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat2002, Nov 4, 2006.

1. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

I started taking Requip last night. My PCP gave me samples, a starter pack that gradually increases the dosage to 1 mg. The best thing about this is that I can continue taking the medications I am already on until I find out if this helps.

As I have FMS, I am excited about this treatment because Dr. Holman’s “Dopamine Hypothesis” makes a lot of sense to me. I also have secondary RLS, so it should help with that too.

I would love to hear from anyone who has been taking Requip for at least one month. I am very interested in your experience with it, whether good or bad.

Thanks,
    Kat

Correction: I just received and watched the DVD "Fibromyalgia: Show Me Where It Hurts" and found that the Dopamine Hypothesis was first researched by Dr. Patrick Wood. Dr. Andrew Holman played a big part in the clinical studies perfomed using that hypothesis.[This Message was Edited on 11/11/2006]
  2. Goldyfm

Goldyfm New Member

I have been taking Requip for several months now. I started with .25 and am now on .5 each evening. I don't really know if it is helping. No observer to check the restless legs during sleep. I suppose I could borrow a video camera. lol But I definitely am no worse. I am to have a repeat sleep study so I will continue as I am unless something else stops the treament. I know I poohed at the Ivory soap under your fitted sheet remedy, but after having done so for several weeks now, I have to admit my leg aches have been improved during the daytime somewhat. Go figure.
  3. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

Thanks for your response to my post. My doctor is suggesting that I have a sleep study done, but I am waiting until I have insurance again.

I have had no problems with Requip but it is too soon to know if it will help me. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Kat
  4. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

Anyone else care to share your experience?

Thanks,
    Kat
  5. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

Thanks for responding to my post.

When I visited my PCP, we discussed both Mirapex and Requip. She recommended trying the Requip first since she feels it has fewer potential side effects. The thing I love most about my PCP is that I can discuss things like this with her and be taken seriously!

I am sorry you had to discontinue it since it sounds like it was helping you. I agree that the hair loss is rare, but I will be watching my hairline just in case! Thanks again for sharing.

Best wishes,
    Kat

[This Message was Edited on 11/05/2006]
  6. Juloo

Juloo Member

I tried Requip, and for the first couple of nights on .25, it did help. But then the starter pack went up to .5, and I ended up waking up in the middle of the night to hang over the bathroom sink and heave!

I went back down to .25, but the nausea and vomiting happened twice more, so I had to give it up. One of my care providers suggested I give it one more try, and I did, but the same thing happened.

My cousin is on Requip -- and he says it really works for him. He take a full 2 (mg?) a night. I probably will give him the last few of mine, but they won't make a dent in his dosage!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2006]
  7. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

Thanks for replying to my post.

I was told that the most common side effect is nausea. My PCP said that if the Requip was helping otherwise, we could discuss an anti-nausea medicine to take with it.

I took the first .5 mg dose last night, and so far no problems. In fact, I don’t really feel any different, but I am going to give it three weeks to fully kick in. My PCP said it would take about two.

I am sorry you had to give it up since it sounds like it was helping you. I am glad to hear that it is working for your cousin though.

Thanks again for sharing,
    Kat
  8. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

Bumping...

Kat
  9. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

Thanks again to all who responded to my post.

I have taken five doses now, and so far I have not had any side effects. I really don't notice any difference in my pain or fatigue yet, but it is a little early to see results.

I would be happy to keep informed anyone who is interested, or considering Requip, with the results of my experience.

Better days to you all,
    Kat
  10. Gail8899

Gail8899 New Member

I've been on it for over a month, and am on 1mg. It stopped my severe RLS in it's tracks, but has given me the worst insomnia that i've ever had. It also makes me very sick at my stomach for an hour after I take it.

It has not helped my pain levels at all, but one other thing it did help besides the RLS, is my cold feet and hands. About an hour after taking it my hands and feet feel nice and warm. Dr can't explain that one.

Don't know yet what we will do about the insomnia. Not much use having the legs be still so you can sleep if the med itself is keeping you awake.
  11. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

Gail, thanks for your reply.

Tonight is my 9th dose - I am now at the 1 mg dosage. I have not had nausea, but I always take it with a light snack. No side effects at all have been noted (and I feel lucky).

My PCP told me to keep taking the Ambien she prescribed for sleep, and as far as I can tell the Requip is not interfering with it. My mornings have been about the same (the usual pain and stiffness).

However, today I definitely have more energy and slightly less pain. It might not be the Requip, but I am hopeful that it is!

Keeping my fingers crossed,
    Kat