FM shortness if breath heart racing/skipping???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimba4318, May 30, 2006.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi - I am posting so many questions today and so glad I found you all - what a great group! Does anyone else have shortness of breath with FM and sometimes a racing or skipping heartbeat? The shortness of breath happens when I even slightly exert myself (i.e., walking up steps, doing laundry, kneeling then standing). I had lyme diease at one point adn they fibromyalgia was diagnosed about a year after I had gotten a staff infection. My immune system suffered a great deal. Anyone else have this? Is this normal for FM sufferers? Thank you! Kim
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Kim:

It might be a good time to go to the doctor again. I know it can be a pain in the neck, but I know in the beginning I was in his office once a week complaining. (Sqeaky wheel gets the grease). I would not fool around with those symptons, as if might be FM relater OR not.
    Take good care of yourself.

nyrofan
  3. Gilly26

Gilly26 New Member

Hi Kim

I have post viral fatigue syndrome and also suffer from shortness of breath especially going up stairs and I often get a fluttering in my chest. I have put it down to the illness, but it might be worth u getting it checked out just to be safe.

All the best

Gilly26
  4. millennia

millennia New Member

Ask your doctor to check you for Mitral valve prolapse, it's a heart condition that can cause the symptoms that you mentioned. About 3% of the average population has it and I think over 70% of FM patients have it. You should definately get it checked out to rule out anything more serious.
  5. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

thank you all for your quick replies and for just caring! I actually have been told I DO have mitral valve prolapse in the past. I was never told that it woudl make me have these symptoms. I am glad you brought that up. So I guess that is what I have to live with on top of everything else. I guess there is no medication that can help these symptoms??? Thank you for your advice! All the best. Kim
  6. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

any suggestions on wether I should go to a cardiologist or just my primary care to have this looked at? I just thought this is what everyone else was suffering with when fatigued or upon exertion. Thanks again.
  7. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi Nanjee - Thank you for that link. Can I ask how you are treated for the MVP? Just wondering so when I go in, I have something to compare it to. I have seen a cardiologist in the past and my stress test was good. I have had several ER docs and others notice the MVP and was never told what I could do for it. When it was noticed I was not having as severe symptomes as I do now. Thank you again! Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 05/31/2006]