FM symptoms much worse after short trip - need help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by libra55, Aug 5, 2005.

1. libra55

libra55 New Member

We took daughter #2 off to camp. three hours up there, helped her move all her stuff in and get settled, three hour drive back. Four days later did it all again. Went up there early for the road race and party afterwards, packed her up and drove home.

All we did was eat in restaurants. I am picky about my food and I normally dont eat out. I almost never travel because I dont feel good afterwards.

I tried to be very conscientious about drinking my water and stopping for stretch breaks, and even though my husband drove and I offered to take the wheel, he drove the whole way, and I am still exhausted by the whole ordeal.

Honestly I feel like a mack truck has run over me. I am in so much pain now. I am so tired yet cant sleep. I have a terrible headache, and my stomach feels lousey. Plus I picked up a vaginal yeast infection along the way. So exhausted I can barely move.

My kid is glad to be home and this trip meant a lot to me to go up and see her, and I knew I would pay for it in one way or another.

Any body have any good tried and true suggestions to get me stabilized QUICKLY, I am so tired and mentally fogged out I dont know what symptom to tackle first. I know I have to drive to the drug store for some yeast cream but I'm just so beat. I know the MSG in the restaurant food did me absolutely no good at all. Should I fast, or eat lightly, or do a colon cleanse, or what?

Any good suggestions also from people that travel frequently, to minimize flare-ups like this one? I thought I had my bases covered but obviously did not.

I know I can count on the good folks here for some suggestions!

Thanks,
    Michelle
  2. lilac123

lilac123 New Member

To hear your suffering so much. I don't have any suggestions just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I too have trouble traveling in a car or eating out. We took a 3 hour trip to see my father in law in the VA hospital and I was just in tears all the way home. Couldn't walk, eat, just felt horrible. The only thing that seemed to help was TIME and REST for me. I have a disorder with my tailbone too so that makes it even that much worse to travel.

I hope someone else can give you some suggestions to help you feel better sooner. Just know you are not alone in this.

Thoughts and prayers are with you to feel better soon!
    Lil
  3. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Lots of people here have used it.I here it's good.That and you have to rest.No way around it.The quicker you get your rest,the faster you will be over it.
  4. I get so stiff after riding in a car for more than a half hr. I have been pushing myself so much lately myself, I am ready to crash and flare big time myself, and like you have the dreaded yeast infection yet again.
  5. chazzsmom99

chazzsmom99 New Member

How you feel. Where we live is 1 hour from town--that means shopping, dr.'s, pharmacy, whatever. When we moved here a year ago, I was able to handle it, plus the unloading of grocerys, tending to dinner and the family, 4-5 times a month with little side effect. Now, it's all I can do to do it once a month. Of course, I try like crazy to get everything done (shopping, pharmacy, dr.'s, and all the other piddly things that needs to be done) in that one day. It kills me. I'm sure if I spread things out more...but if I try that, things don't get done. It's depressing...I just got back from town yesterday, and all my shopping is still bagged and on the floor of my kitchen.
    What I find is that take care of myself first, then my 6 y/o, then my husband--in that order. If I don't take care of myself 1st, which includes rest, meds, hot bath, then everybody pays for it!
    Sorry that I can't help--everyone else had good ideas. I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!
  6. libra55

libra55 New Member

I did take a serious nap this afternoon. And it did make me feel a little better. The one piece of advice in common seems to be rest so tomorrow that's what I'll do again, maybe let the dogs out for business duty and then bring them back in and go back to bed!

Car rides seem to be problematic for so many of us.

I also have cut way down on the grocery shopping. My husband has picked up some of the burden by buying stuff in bulk at the warehouse club, and then I just sort of fill in with fresh produce and stuff like that. But I miss being able to do all the shopping. I feel like I am not in control of the meals, like I have to cook what he brings home, and sometimes it is not what I would have chosen, but oh well, must adjust!

I have done the epson salt and peroxide bath before and it does help, so much, I just have to get the energy up to do it.

Thanks again, all, and I think I will stay put for the rest of the summer!

Michelle