FM teen looking for career choice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pamelasng, Sep 20, 2002.

1. pamelasng

pamelasng New Member

My 16 yr old daughter is looking for a career she is doing her school certificate this year and has to leave school because of the abuse she recieves from her peers,she was driven home from school on thursday by two of her teachers who are upset that she is treated this way but cant put a stop to it, Iam ging to see if she can just go in for exams ect to finish this year as we are concerned she has started looking for a way out of this life, The FM is bad enough but the continued abuse really brings her down, her younger sister is out of school because of the same thing she could not cope either as she also has FM. A lot of it starts because they are unable to play sport or do PE, Their peers see this as a weakness and start pushing them around. I could go on and on but I will save you that. Anyway we are going to get a loan to send the youngest to a Beauty therapy course which is only 3 days a week for a year but at a loss to help Jess find something she can cope with. I hope someone can help as the build up of stress in our home is getting to us all, I feel I should be doing more but with FM myself I just seem to go in circles. Its amazing that there are so many services in place to help but when you try to acess them no one can help. Bye Pam
  2. pamelasng

pamelasng New Member

My 16 yr old daughter is looking for a career she is doing her school certificate this year and has to leave school because of the abuse she recieves from her peers,she was driven home from school on thursday by two of her teachers who are upset that she is treated this way but cant put a stop to it, Iam ging to see if she can just go in for exams ect to finish this year as we are concerned she has started looking for a way out of this life, The FM is bad enough but the continued abuse really brings her down, her younger sister is out of school because of the same thing she could not cope either as she also has FM. A lot of it starts because they are unable to play sport or do PE, Their peers see this as a weakness and start pushing them around. I could go on and on but I will save you that. Anyway we are going to get a loan to send the youngest to a Beauty therapy course which is only 3 days a week for a year but at a loss to help Jess find something she can cope with. I hope someone can help as the build up of stress in our home is getting to us all, I feel I should be doing more but with FM myself I just seem to go in circles. Its amazing that there are so many services in place to help but when you try to acess them no one can help. Bye Pam
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

First, I don't think I've welcomed you to our board. So, welcome! Since we are each affected differently by our illnesses, I'm not sure anyone could advise you on this. I wonder about anyone with FMS being able to stand on her feet all day with her arms up styling hair. For many of us, this would be impossible. Our symptoms can change over time.

As time has gone by, I find that my cognitive problems are more of a deterrent to working than the pain. Fatigue is another factor. I have not been able to work for almost two years.

I am sorry that your children have suffered from the cruelty of the other children at school. I believe it may be a trial and error approach for each to find her niche in selecting a career. Good luck to you and to them.

Love, Mikie
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

It's bad enough having this as an adult. I had a 16 yr. old in my support group who had to leave school and it was heartbreaking. My heart goes out to you.
    I agree with Mikie that Beautician is one of the worst choices I can imagine for someone with FMS. Not only are you standing up, but you are lifting your arms in the air...usually the single most painful movement for us. Then there are the chemicals. 55% of us develop Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS). I can't even go to the beauty shop any more because of the chemicals. My hairdresser has me come to her home. Anything with repetitive movement of the same muscle group would be bad. Typing is a good example of this. Very stressful jobs with lots of deadline pressure would be bad. Jobs where you have to jump from one thing to another and back again are bad since our memories tend to get thrown off when we are distracted...Admin. Asst. is an example of this kind of job. If she is good with computers, I think the ideal would be something she can do from home, so she can make her own hours. I know someone who works from home fixing computers. People bring them to her, there is no heavy typing involved, she provides a needed service and makes a good living. Selling real estate is a job that's very easy on the body,and usually very relaxing, but there is the financial stress of being on commission, and some of us have trouble driving, esp. at night. I wish I could be more helpful. Since I lost my career to FMS, I have tried 3 jobs from home. In one case I could not compete with mass production prices, in another I was fine until winter came and I got so much worse I had to quit, and in the third I made the mistake of thinking I could somehow put up with working for the queen witch of the universe...the stress was awful! Our local community college offers a very cheap 8 hr. course to help people chose careers. You might look into this where you live. They give you all kinds of tests and then go over the results in detail, matching your abilities, interests, values and personality type to various jobs. Good luck,
    Klutzo
  5. lmn

lmn New Member

Do your girls like children? What about child care/daycare?
    Typically, people who work in this field are very nurturing and compassionate, and will understand if your daughters have days when they're not 100%. Also, because of the long operating hours of daycare centers, they frequently advertise for part time positions. Working with children, I find, takes my mind off myself.

Best of luck to all of you. Fondly, lmn
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2002]