FM/TMJ and Endoscopy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sacajawea2, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

Tuesday I'm scheduled to have an endoscopy...I have been throwing up in my sleep off and on for about six weeks. Never had that issue before but other gastro problems. So the first step is to look to see what's going on. I was all fine with this until tonight when I read the prep paperwork again.

I have terrible TMJ. Last winter I had some dental work and the aftermath was horrible on the TMJ. I was prescribed Robaxin three weeks before the start of it. I had my mouth open way too long, and my mouth is small so it was hard for them to work on me (I even went to a pediatric dentist). I ended up having to take steriods to get the swelling down and still have problems with my jaws. I was so swollen afterwards my friend and daughter didn't recognize me when they came to pick me up...they said only my purse and cane was recognizable. It was bad. The dentist said Fibro patients can end up w/ extra problems. I've never gone back to get the rest of my work done.

So now I'm nervous about this upcoming test, especially now that I realize I'll have a bite piece in my mouth. I plan to call the doctor tomorrow to discuss my concerns but I'd like any feedback if anyone has been through this...and if you had jaw pain afterwards or took anything before the test.

2. jami117

jami117 New Member

It's good that you're going to speak to your doctor about your conditions before your procedure Tuesday. You might ask if you should speak with the anesthesiologist also.

I have FM, CFS and had TMJ. The afternoon after my first endoscopy was the best day I'd had in years! Weird, yes, but it was because there was some potent muscle relaxer in the drip cocktail they used to put me to sleep. My (comparatively) low over-all pain level resulted in such euphoria that my friends still kid me about that being one of my favorite days. My second endo, different insurance & different docs, wasn't nearly such fun but no extra resulting pain. For me the yucky prep stuff was the worst part of the whole experience.

I had no mouth pain either time. If your docs are careful, that, along with any muscle relaxer they might use, should prevent an aggravation of your TMJ. Good luck!
  3. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

I saw this last night (morning) at about 3am and it really helped ease my mind. when the doc's office called back, they let me know I'd only have it in my mouth for 10-15 minutes, big difference as well. I hope I get what you got, lol!!!! I'd love to have a best day in years myself!

4. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

If you are given general anesthesia, you won't detect anything at all.

If you are awake, they may give you a solution to gargle with just before they begin the endoscopy, and this solution will numb your gag reflex, so you will experience minimum discomfort in the throat/jaw area. I have had endoscopies both ways and my personal preference is for general anesthesia. However, if that is not an option for you, the other way isn't terrible. Nothing to lose any sleep over!

Good luck---

5. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Well I'm a little late as the procedure is over and I hope you passed it with flying colors as well as having no jaw pain to deal with after the test.

I had a endoscopy a few months back for repeated bouts of N/V, turned out I have erosive gastritis.

With medication and dietary changes I managed to get better and keep the episodes to a minimum.

Let us know the outcome...

6. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

Well, no euphoria for me!!! I actually was a bit down afterwords but did okay. Then by the evening a headache like no other and extreme jaw/neck pain set in. I took all meds I had available and went to was bad the next day but by today, much better.

He took a couple of biopsies and found no ulcer, but some damage here and there and will tell me more at my apt. November 3. I also have a colonoscopy on the 22nd. He thinks I have celiac disease and is surprised no one has tested me for it before. Who knows...

I found out the med he prescribed is not covered by my insurance so I'm on prilosec, ugh...tried that before w/ no success. I may get some more samples from my doc next week of Dexilant. I like that all right. Will also try some more aloe and slippery elm.

What changes did you make, Deb and hi to you too!

I spend so much time lying flat that it's my main issue...the erosion is even one sided! It's getting harder and harder to remain upright, especially sitting.