fm yoga and the neck

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by maddie, Dec 19, 2002.

1. maddie

maddie New Member

I am starting a yoga program but i have a very bad neck that will cause horrible headachs with the smallest movement
    Does anybody have this problem and have ways of working around it so as not to cause any neck problems ...like placing a towel around the neck or....?
    anything...? please help
  2. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Maddie:
    Good for you for doing a yoga program, even with the painful, stiff neck you describe! I think you will find that gentle stretching yoga will help your stiff neck in the long run. Just do ONLY what you can do of the poses that involve the neck. If you can only move your neck one inch, you are working as hard as someone who can move their neck all the way!!! You will find that with repeated gentle stretching with these neck poses, you will loosen up.
    How do I know this?
    Most readers of this board know that I am a strong proponent of gentle stretching yoga. Why? When I first started yoga 4 years ago, I couldn't move my neck or my hips at all!!!! I continued with yoga everyday, and now I can move these areas. It is no miracle cure, but it does keep your muscles and joints lubricated and flexible. I find I have to do yoga every day or so, or I have to start over at square one with stiffness, etc. BUT without yoga, I know I wouldn't be able to move much at all.
    So, Keep on trying at your own pace. Don't try to do what the others in class are doing. That's hard to do, I know. You might take ibuprofen before the class or exercise or your pain med?
    good luck and let me know how you are doing!!!
    hang in there!
    sue
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

Can somebody recommend a good beginners Yoga video? I'd love to try it and have the neck problems too,so i'd like a easy one to start with.
    Thanks abunch!
    Tracey
  4. enivalorac

enivalorac New Member

Hi maddie ..
    I started in a yoga class at my local college in September, and it really seems to help ...The instructor is very good and always tells us about precautions to take and alternatives to the poses if some are causing pain. I would take it very gently, and use padding around the neck if it helps ... otherwise see if there is a gentler pose you could try .. remember ... yoga is not like aerobics and you do NOT have to feel the burn to benefit ... ( LOL ).. You dont say if you are in a class or doing yoga from home .. if you are in a class .. talk to the instructor .. if he is any good he will be able to help you .. good luck .. Carol
  5. maddie

maddie New Member

this will help
    I ordered this tape over the net and it is great
    can't remember the name sorry.
    I am asking for some start up help from an instructor because i am so worried about the neck...alot of the neck problems is damage to the disks and it does not take much to start some trouble for me there. I then will do the tape.
    I don't deal well with ppl so i will get more done this way.
    thanks for the tips it will help.