FMers with RA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wendysj, Sep 28, 2009.

1. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have been following the boards more than posting lately... I have just posted a message on the Arthritis Board and need your help. I know there are many FM/CFS patients with RA. I'm hoping that you will take a moment to read my post on the Arthritis Board and give me some feedback.

This board saved me several years ago when I was diagnosed with CFS and then again a little over a year ago when I was diagnosed with FM. I appreciate you all saving me again now that I've been diagnosed with RA.

I appreciate you all. Wishing you all a pain-free, energetic day!
  2. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Rocky76,

Thank you for all that information. I sometimes think I've read all I could on a subject and then realize there is much, much more for me to learn.

My doctor has not even mentioned antibiotics to me nor have I heard of taking antibiotics for RA. The next time I visit my doctor I will ask about that form of treatment.

I think my doctor is looking for toward adding Enbrel (or another drug) to the MTX. I am not sure is she will take me off the MTX or not but I would like for her to... The MTX has been not helped at all and the side effects seem killer at times.

I'm happy the antibiotics are helping you! They seem to be MUCH easier on your body than these other treatments. I hope you continue to feel better!

Thanks for your input!
  3. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Jaminheath!

I have to say I think of you often... I've seen so many of your posts helping people with more natural supplements than prescription drugs... Grapeseed Extract...That's what I think of when I see your name on the boards. You have helped a great amount of people here. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

The Antibiotic Protocol is very interesting. I read the Road Back Foundation website earlier... I'm so surprised that I have never heard of this before! My doctor didn't even mention that it was one of the treatment options. I guess she didn't mention it because 1) she doesn't know about it or 2) she doesn't see it as an "effective" option.

My doctor has been a Rheumy for as long as I've been alive. (Literally, her degree on the wall says she graduated the year before I was born.) I would think the AP must not be a treatment plan recognized by the majority of Rheumies, right?

I will be sure to ask her about it when I see her next time to get her take on it. I doubt she will recommend it since she hasn't mentioned it before but I will definitely find out her thoughts on it.

Thank you again for replying to me and helping many others!
  4. blueeyedgrl73

blueeyedgrl73 New Member

antibiotics only help infections. They do not know what causes RA. Maybe antibiotics have helped some people with RA for whatever reason. I think its great that someone can be helped from something.

There are many many people who have wasted time and money taking antibiotics and their RA progressed with irreversible damage. Not to mention the fact that if you take antibiotics long term then you lessen your response to them if you need them for something else also not to mention you are more prone to MRSA infections.

What if your RA is caused by a virus that has made your immune system go haywire? antibiotics do not help viruses. They do not even know for sure what causes RA so to treat something blindly with antibiotics long term is dangerous.
  5. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi All:

I saw my Rheumy yesterday. I took a list of questions and symptoms that I hadn't braught to her attention. Before I could ask my first question, she said "I don't have time for this". I asked what she had time for she said "Pick 3 symptoms". Tears were streaming down my face..

I told her the MTX and steroids weren't working. She said, "I misdiagnosed it, you don't have RA". She told me to stop taking those medications. I asked her about Plaquenil and she said, "I don't have a problem giving you Plaquenil". She gave me the prescription and walked out of the room.

I'm devastated. It took me a long time to find her and now she seems to be giving up. I'm furius and terrified. Starting over seems way too daunting.

Thanks for your responses to this original post.

Wishing you all a good week.