FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) Update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kch64, Dec 8, 2005.

1. kch64

kch64 New Member

For those of you who read some of my other posts, I became extremely stressed on Monday because I was told that my FMLA was going to be disapproved by my boss.

After talking to the HR chain, that is not the case. They have granted me provisional leave, based on the final outcome. The doctor that is reviewing my paperwork, wants to speak with the Rheumatologist that filled out the forms for clarification.

So, the unnecessary alarm that was caused by my boss, really is a shame.

So, now I'm going to contact the Rheumy here and talk to him about it.

I also have an appointment in January 18th to see another Rheumy because the first one doesn't accept my insurance.

The e-mail I got today asked if I had considered disability retirement. I have, but I feel I'm not even ready for that one. I think the increased stress in my life due to grief and my husband's severe illness, has made my disease more prominent.

I think it may "calm down" as I'm still adjusting to my mom's death.

Your comments are very welcome. Thank you all for listening.

Hugs,
    Kendra
  2. vacrow

vacrow New Member

I was on FMLA off and on for the last two years of my employment. I had exhausted all my vacation and sick leave, so to keep my job I had to go that route.
    The last year I got so bad I could not even function at work. I had a fantastic boss and he gave me the courage to fild for disability with Civil Service. That was the hardest choice I have ever had to make as I loved my job, but I could not even work a full 40 hour week. I knew I did not stand a chance of getting approved with this dd. After 6 months of no pay I finally received my letter in the mail that I had been approved.
    I just had my two year review and literally made myself sick worrying what if I had to go back to work. I knew the government would never rehire me and to be honest I was not ready.
    I truly believe the only reason I was approved for another two years as I was dx as bi-popar 1 which is the worse of bi-polar and manic depression. If I can hang in there until I am 60 years old (5 more years) I will no longer have to go for the reviews and will continue to draw my check along with my insurance.
    The FMLA is very good to protect people from losing their jobs because of a illness you may have or someone in your family.
    VICKIE IN AL
  3. kch64

kch64 New Member

bumping for me.
  4. emiltim

emiltim New Member

fmla has been a lifesaver for me!! There is no way I could live on disability, but I am literally stuck in bed about once a week (sometimes less). I am a government employee, so I don't get hassled much about it.

It was rather hard getting them to accept my paperwork though....the dr. had to word everything 'just right' for them. Fortunately, I have a dr. who knows how to 'get it done'.

I still feel horrible every time I have to call in sick- but at least I don't have to worry about losing my job.

Take care,

-Julie

5. jake123

jake123 New Member

Ya'll must have a different kind of FMLA than I do here in Texas. I was off three months with depression after my mother died and I didn't get any money after using my 12 days sick pay.
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

Where I used to work, when I used my FMLA, I was using my sick days, but they were "coded" FMLA and when they were exhausted, I had to use "time without pay" but it was coded FMLA so it "supposedly" wouldn't affect my performance records, etc.

Also,to Julie - you mentioned "I am a government employee, so I don't get hassled much about it." Well, I was a government employee, too, and I DID GET HASSLED ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!! By law, they couldn't document any words on my performance appraisal, etc. - but I "got the message" on how it was frowned upon!!!!!! My company did not like ANY ABSENCE--they could have cared less on how it was coded!
  7. kch64

kch64 New Member

There's no way I could afford disability retirement at this point in my life. It wouldn't give me enough money, and I don't feel that I'm at the stage.

I'm just going through some bumpy patches in my life and I think the stress is making me get sicker. I've had a lot of infections this year (viral) and when I get those, the FM is much worse and it takes me longer to recover.

All comments are welcome. Thanks