FMLA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RunninCrazy, May 17, 2006.

1. RunninCrazy

RunninCrazy New Member

How the heck do you start one of these? And when are you bad "enough" to do it? My biggest problem is that I don't know how bad I am compared to everyone else. I still have a full-time job, but I call in sick alot and I know alot of my co-workers are starting to resent me. It's not a high-stress position, but I have acute anxiety syndrome and so I don't handle stress very well anyway. Hehe, plus, I'm co-dependent so I want someone else to tell me what to do.
  2. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

I also work full time, in a high pressure/stress position.

When I had to take time off for Dr's appt.'s for sick days, I was really getting slack from others.

I contact HR, and they gave me a form/certificate to be filled out by the Dr. for FMLA. I was placed on intermediate basis called "Absence Plus Treatment" that is defined as, A period of incapacity of more than 3 consecutive calendar days (including any subsequent treatment or period of incapacity relating to the same condition), that also involves: Treatment two or more times by a health care provider, (e.g., physical therapist) under orders of or on referral. or Treatment by a health care provider on at least one occasion which results in a regimen of continuing treatment.

So, what this allows me to do is keep my Dr's appt.'s, aqua therapy, blood work, and sick time. I do not get paid for it, but your company cant write you up for missed days, or complain about it, change your job title to less of a title, hold back a raise or promotion, as you are protected under FMLA.

It was the best thing I ever did. I never take advantage of time off, all Dr's appt's I make, I will check with the office on staffing for that day and keep my mgr up to date to make sure my mgr is ok for any advance appt.'s being made. I make sure I make appt.'s at the end of the day so I can work most of the hours in the office and leave early.

I keep a copy of every email sent to HR and my Mgr on notifying them for appt.'s and letting them know I am doing everything possible to make sure I give plenty of advance notification.

Of course on the days you call out sick you cant give advance notification, but you are still protected under FMLA.

Think about starting the procedure now as it can take some time to rcv the authorization/approval.

There are times that I may not need off for a month, but I am still covered until FMLA is due to be re certified.

There is some great web sites out there about your rights and how you are protected under FMLA.

I hope this helps. Let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you.

You don't need extra stress and being protected under FMLA will help you feel better in control.

Thanks, God Bless,
    Cin
  3. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

bumping up for RunninCrazy
  4. RunninCrazy

RunninCrazy New Member

Wow, thanks! (What's a bump?)
  5. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

when you want a post to stay on the first page you reply Bump so you can get a chance to see that you have a reply.

kind of keeps your post new. so it dosnt get lost on the following pages of posts.

Thanks!
    Cin
  6. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

Ask the HR person if you get paid while your off on FMLA,I took it 3 times when I was working and got 80% of my pay. You can take up to 3 months at a time. Alot of companies do not pay though.
  7. RunninCrazy

RunninCrazy New Member

Thankfully, my company does pay for intermintent leave. It's only about 60% though. But it's better than 0. :)
  8. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

I dont get paid at all.

But, If I want to use my vaca time or personal time then I get paid. Or, if it is more than a week short term disability will kick in. Or if it real bad Long term disab will kick in.
  9. pez23

pez23 New Member

Human resources is the department that needs to approve the form - a supervisor technically doesn't even need to see it. They just need to know that HR has approved it.