FMr's with knee replacments.....anyone???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by segrin, Oct 26, 2005.

1. segrin

segrin New Member

Hi everyone,
    Has there been anyone here with FM who has had a knee replacement? I am wondering if so how did surgery and rehab effect your FM pain etc and did you insist on pain medication before the surgery during and after? What about rehab was it hard to get a physical therapist who knew what FM is and how to treat a person with FM?
    As always thanks for all contributions.
  2. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

Hi, I am 45 and had ad total knee preplacement last Sept 04. My surgeon was very knowledgeable about my FMS and also the problems I have with my hip. I did not have to insist on pain meds. He was more than willing to give me anything I thought would help. After surgery I had a morhine drip....it helped the pain but made me sick. I started itching and throwing up and the nurse goes oh that is a reaction to morphine and took the drip off. I then was on shot of something whenever I asked for it and percocet pills in between. My hip was hurting more bec it is the opposite leg than I had the surgery so I was having to put all my weight on that leg. The Doc came right into my room and gave me a cortisone short in my hip. That helped a lot .
    I dont want to be discouraging so I will start with saying my surgery was a complete success,no complications and I am so glad I had it done. Now my knee is the least of my problems.There is no pain and I have recovered most of my flexibility. But I will tell you my FMS flared the worst ever, laying in the bed,not able to move and the pain from surgery all combined,I was very depressed and crying but my Doc said this is very normal.

The PT was not so bad. The first 3 weeks they sent someone to my home and she knew I was in pain and she was very easy and gentle but she did push me to do exercises. I took my walker and walked in the house a lot. As soon I I could do the steps (abt 2 wks) several times a day I would walk out side and just walk in circles on the cement in front of our garage. The rehab and regaining strength and flexibility was long and hard but well worth it.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any asistiance.
  3. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

Hi there,

I had my left knee replaced last year when I was 39. I was young but I had tried everything else, braces, meds, synvisc injections and nothing worked.

I had alot of problems after and I wonder if it has something to do with fibromyalgia. I have been tentatively diagnosed with this until I get confirmation from the rheumy next month.

Anyhow, I had my knee replaced in April 2004. I went to rehab for a few days, had VNA come in for a couple of weeks for therapy and then I started out patient therapy. I could not get a good bend of my knee. In August, they put me back under and did a manual manipulation - that's a nice way of saying they bent my leg for me rather forcefully to break through scar tissue - that was pain!

Went back to therapy again - still not enough bend. So the day before Thanksgiving last year I went back under and had arthroscopy for them to scrape out the scar tissue. That finally helped!

Looking back now - I wonder if it was because of fibro that I had so many problems. My knee is much better now - not perfect, still get pain. I need the right one done but I said I'm waitng until I end up in a wheelchair for this one!

-Kathi