FMS and flu shots, do they mix????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SPR30, Aug 27, 2003.

1. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I have a question, if someone could please give me their input.
    I have beenn diagnosed with several chronic ills, osteo and rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia and many other things. I am allergic to many meds,and I am wondering, should I get a flu shot this year (since I have been diagnosed with so many ills will it protect me)?
    Are flu shots recommended for/or safe for people with fibro?
    Has anyone gotten a flu shot and experienced problems after?
    Thank you for any info you may have. I go see my Dr. on Fri, 8/29 and wish to discuss this with him.

2. wle

wle New Member

experience.......
    Several years ago, way before symptoms for FM are at the level they are now I got a flu shot at work. I was loopy all day and felt bad for days afterwards. The next year I declined the shot. My Dr. (who is no longer my Dr.) told me that it could not have possibly have been the flu shot that caused me to feel bad. So I tried it again, and once again I was loopy for the day and felt bad for days. I won't have another one. But would not tell you not to get one. Different things affect different people in different ways........WLE
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

I get a flu shot every year, have never had a bad reaction to it. I work with a high school population, so getting one is highly recommended for me. I have fibro, by the way.

Beth.
  4. JQP

JQP New Member

Not with me. I have a few days where I feel really rough. My arm hurts, and I don't like the world. However, the year I did not have it because of the previous years reaction, I got flu. And boy, did I have flu.

Last year I decided a few days of minor inconvenience, in comparison to the month it took me to get reasonably well from the flu, was a reasonable exchange. And no, I did not get flu, so I reckon it worked.

They do say if you have an allergy/intolerance to eggs then you shouldn't have because of the egg albumin in the vaccine. As have a slight intolerance to eggs, this could be my problem.
  5. JQP

JQP New Member

Not with me. I have a few days where I feel really rough. My arm hurts, and I don't like the world. However, the year I did not have it because of the previous years reaction, I got flu. And boy, did I have flu.

Last year I decided a few days of minor inconvenience, in comparison to the month it took me to get reasonably well from the flu, was a reasonable exchange. And no, I did not get flu, so I reckon it worked.

They do say if you have an allergy/intolerance to eggs then you shouldn't have because of the egg albumin in the vaccine. As have a slight intolerance to eggs, this could be my problem.

Jacqui