fms and food sensitivity

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tes, Oct 17, 2002.

1. tes

tes New Member

I notice at times certain foods I eat cause me more pain than ever. I know foods can actually cause flare ups in alot of people. Can anyone tell me if spinach causes flare ups after consumed. I've been eating spinach more than usuall and my pain has increased tremendously in my lower ribcage. Can someone also tell me other foods that could be aggravating.
    Thanks so much,
    Tes
  2. tes

tes New Member

I notice at times certain foods I eat cause me more pain than ever. I know foods can actually cause flare ups in alot of people. Can anyone tell me if spinach causes flare ups after consumed. I've been eating spinach more than usuall and my pain has increased tremendously in my lower ribcage. Can someone also tell me other foods that could be aggravating.
    Thanks so much,
    Tes
  3. tes

tes New Member

Hi,it's me Tes again. I don't mean to bother anyone but refering back to my post days back, I was just wondering if anyone has flare ups with certain foods. Can spinach do that and what other foods to all of you find distrubing.
    Thanks a bundle,
    Tes
  4. B

B New Member

I haven't posted in quite some time but I do read the posts regularily. I have noticed that for myself the foods I need to avoid are wheat products, dairy and red meat and pork. Avoiding these and increasing my water intake to about 4 litres a day has helped me tremendously. I'm no longer taking any prescribed meds and am only taking daily supplements. I know I'm one of the fortunate ones in this respect. I've been doing this since Easter and have also lost 41 pounds to date. That in itself I am sure has helped with the FM. I noticed from some of your previous posts I was reading tonight that you also suffer from Costochondritis. I had this 6 months before the FM diagnosis. It affects mainly the ribs on my left side just below the breast. It feels as though there is a huge bruise on the rib that my bra band sits on. Hope this answers some of your questions and is of some help to you. Feel free to ask anything else and I'll try to help you. Just out of curiosity where in Canada are you? I'm in BC. Keep well, Brenda
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I know that I went into an awful flare a year ago by eating Coconut! Yes, of all things. I don't know why, but I never had pain that bad before. I have not eaten it since.

Also I understand that too much tea can also cause the pain to intensify, I think it depletes the magnesium in your system. Now tea is wonderful for you, but I drank it in excess like ten cups a day of very strong black tea. Three of four cups/glasses a day will do no harm, but if I exceed this amount I get in trouble.

Also nightshade vegetables, like peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, white potatoes (red ones don't apply).

If I think of anymore I will get back to you.

I, personally don't have a problem with spinish, but maybe someone else can help. I only eat small portions of anything so I am not of help there.

Also, MSG is a no, no too! that will cause a flare as well as a serious sinus attack for me.

Shalom, Shirl

6. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Food sensitivies/allergies can be made worse by eating the same foods over and over again. Often, you can take a food that you are sensitive to, eat it, and not be bothered by it, if you eat it infrequently. On the other hand, if you take that same food and eat it daily, you almost force your body to react to.

I suggst you keep a food diary/journal. You will start to notice reactions and will be able to identify the culprit. If indeed spinach is your problem, a food diary might help you figure out if you can have it, spaced days apart, and if so, the minimum number of days you need to skip before consuming it again. (The diary will also help you figure out other foods that could be problematic, as not all of us are bothered by the same things. Again, a lot of our sensitivities are brought on by our OWN overconsumption of products.)

Hope this helps,
    Annette

7. motg

motg New Member

I get very sick now when I eat meat. I did not have that problem before.
    Barb