fms and itching?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DavidTeer, Feb 14, 2003.

1. DavidTeer

DavidTeer New Member

Hi all.
    Just a quick question please. My wife Gee has fms and takes several meds. Her back itches all the time. Can there be a relation there? Please let me know.
    Thank you Dave
  2. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

Check to be sure she does not have hives on her back. If she is breaking out in bumps calahist lotion will help the itch & you need to let the Dr know to switch meds. If it is 'under the skin' kind of itching that is another fun symptom of FMS- I have had both. She is lucky to have your concern.
    ***Pixie***
  3. DavidTeer

DavidTeer New Member

Gee doesn't have hives and it is under the skin kind of itch. just as I thought. Thank you for your input on this,
    Dave
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Seems we have little cells just under the skin which release histamine when they break. Also seems as though ours break more easily than "normal" people.

One side effect is that you can take more of the Benadryl at bedtime and it helps with sleep. Children's Benadryl during the day helps with itching without making one sleepy if the minimum dose is taken.

Love, Mikie
  5. popgun

popgun New Member

somthing simple or as I had holes dug in the palm of my hands from itching and my legs did the same thing and I got a staph infection. I was put on antibiotics and on steroid cream. You should go to your dr. as benydryl will only mask the problem
  6. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I have been taking the Vistril for almost 3 years now, and it has helped so much with the itching. It also helps with sleep and anxiety, and helps clear the eye's. I get very dry eyes, and other times they water a lot, and also get blurry.

Try some Hydrocortozone creme, over the counter kind, that helps a lot too. I used a whole bunch of it, till the Dr. put me on the Vistril. I'm alergic to the benedryl, sent me to the ER one time, that's when they gave me the Vistril, and it's worked for me.

Hope your wife finds something that will be of help, and your a sweetie to be so supportive of her. Hang around we like people like you, might rub off on some of our caregivers, lol.
    Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon

ps. we say around here, that if your hands itched, it mean's you were going to get Money, tis only a mith I'm afarid, or else I'd be Bloody Rich by Now, lol, lol...........sharon[This Message was Edited on 02/15/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/15/2003]
  7. kadywill

kadywill New Member

chronic angioedema and urticaria, which means I itch and break out in hives and having swelling of my eyes, lips, throat, etc. I have done this for thirty years and no one has ever known the etiology. It is just thought to be autoimmune, in my case. I presently am in a flare of this and am taking steroids and H1/H2 blocker combinations. This is no fun whatsoever and I have always related my FMS to this. I KNOW that it is all related in my case.
    I hope your wife finds relief. I can truly empathize with her.
    Love,
    Kady
  8. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I itch from the percodane that I take. see if her pain meds might be the cause.
  9. foxylady57

foxylady57 New Member

I get to where the palms of my hands will itch so bad I will actually have a sore in the center of each hand. I never thought of the FMS as a link. But why not, it seems to be linked to so many other things my body does. I have tried Benedryl with moderate success.
  10. Myth

Myth New Member

This symptom has been driving me nuts as well. My skin it very itchy- expecially my legs. And when I itch, I get those little red dots all over (blood hemorages)- and them bruise. Which encourages me not to itch.