FMS and Menopause

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 6cats, Apr 11, 2007.

1. 6cats

6cats New Member

So I was looking at a website and found these symptoms of menopause...some echo Fibro, so do we get double our pleasure here??? I am sitting here in a panic attack and decided to do research...some are dead on with the symptoms of FMS...my Dr said I was going thru Menopause 1 1.5 years ago...I stopped ovulating...Im only 42....this just scares me more....

Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling
    Irregular heart beat
    Irritability
    Mood swings, sudden tears
    Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
    Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles
    Loss of libido
    Dry vagina
    Crashing fatigue
    Anxiety, feeling ill at ease
    Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom
    Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion
    Disturbing memory lapses
    Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence
    Itchy, crawly skin
    Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons
    Increased tension in muscles
    Breast tenderness
    Headache change: increase or decrease
    Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea
    Sudden bouts of bloat
    Depression
    Exacerbation of existing conditions
    Increase in allergies
    Weight gain
    Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair
    Dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance
    Changes in body odor
    Electric shock sensation under the skin and in the head
    Tingling in the extremities
    Gum problems, increased bleeding
    Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor
    Osteoporosis (after several years)
    Changes in fingernails: softer, crack or break easier
    Tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, 'whooshing,' buzzing etc.
  2. 6cats

6cats New Member

anyone going through this?
  3. blizzybear

blizzybear New Member

HELLO, I have proble all but 2 of your sysmptoms, i have cfs/fm for 7 yrs after being diagnosed with graves diseas which is undercontroll, but i have all those problems, i feel like i am in hormone hell.The gum problems, soreness, bledding, i am a religious brusher /flosser, no help. hot flashes, sweating more under arms, boobs, and in vaginal area. itcing skin(zytrec daily helped me with that), i get urinary strictures, so i have to be dialted ever 3 months caused by hormones. i am 36, but i feel pre menopaisal, i have barley a cycle, less than a day. vitamin e 400iu 1 2times a day helps breast tenderness. i use aloe vera juice for stomache 3times a day mixed in a low sugar juice. each of our bodies are different, i am looking for things that fit my symptoms, do not let the doctor put you in a bock, make sure he see you as a n individual and not by statisitcs.you sound like you havefm with pre menopause. i have had most those symptoms for 7 yrs, and not pre menopause. i might be starting now, but some of the ones you describe sound like pre menopause, but most fit fm, so you proble have both. good luck hope this helped some.
  4. Vitter

Vitter New Member

You described me exactly. I am 50 and have been premenopausal for about 2 years I think. It is hard to tell what it going on. My doctor put me on the climara patch (HRT) it has helped the fatigue tremendously. I never did get hot flashes all that much, not like some people I know. I also have been treated for hypothyroidism, but am not currently taking any medication for it because the last time I was tested my thyroid was too high.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2007]
  5. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I had severe perimenopause start(that's the time before your period stops) when I was 39. I pretty much had every symptom ever known. My Dr put me on hormone treatment immediately. It completely reversed all my symptoms.

Hormone treatment is not for everyone. I had a hysterectomy at 34, so Uterine Cancer was not a risk factor for me. I took them for six years before weaning myself off. I was diagnosed with FM three years ago.

While there are many similar symptoms, FM was completely different for me, especially with the pain factor. I do believe that perimenopause is much more severe for those with FM/CFS or any other chronic pain condition.

I did try all of the natural hormone meds, but for me they did nothing at all. You know, I almost hated the crawly skin the worst!!!!

See your Dr again and see what he recommends to help make this life transition a little easier for you.

Regards,

Eileen

6. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Hello there ... all I can say is "yes .. yes ... yes ! "
    I turned 50 last October and the menopause thing is speeding up from peri to train wreck full on meno ..
    I am on a low dose birth control pill min-ovral ? .. my GP started me on it a couple of years ago to try and smooth things out .. but the fibro seems to be getting worse lately .. or is it the menopause making it seem so ? who knows ?
    I am hypothyroid on Synthroid .. migraine headaches periodically .. all sorts of other nonsense and one of the worst things is the influence of weather systems changing from low to high ... just in the last year ..

Some days you just think you are going crazy ... or what is the use ... and oh boy ... this is one blue day for me ..

I would advise you to talk to your doctor about some kind of treatment to soften the blow of menopause .. I hate to think what i would be like without what help I have .. and sleep .. is one heck of an issue that HAS to be dealt with !

Good Luck !
    Joy : )
  7. 6cats

6cats New Member

Just fyi I dont have all the symptoms above, those are ones I found off of a website...but I sure have a lot of them! I can not take any hormone replacement thereapy of any kind because of getting migraines. I experiences my first migraine when I was on the birth control pill years ago, tried it twice after and it still gave me headaches, so basically I get to sweat it out...no pun intended :) I think the only symptoms I DO NOT have are:

Gum problems, increased bleeding Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor. Osteoporosis (after several years).

I have to schedule another appointment with my GYN...get my mammogram appointment taken care of...I dread it I am afraid it will hurt, but know it has to be done...
  8. Linzey

Linzey New Member

Hi- YES!! read your list, I have had ALL the symptoms on the list. I have CFS/Fibro.,and have been going threw menopause for about 12 years. It has been pure agony dealing with all the symptoms of our diseases and then plop the joys of menopause on top!!! Thanks to my naturopath DR, Im doing pretty well,(finally!! -takes a while to find the right supplements for all the problems)No wonder they used to put women in the nut house.
  9. maryl

maryl New Member

I took prempro for several years and it made such a difference for me. Hope you find what works best for you soon so you can feel better. Peri, and menopause both can make you feel crazy. You'll get thru it tho. Mary
  10. WhatHappen

WhatHappen New Member

Except for...I guess I will have these to look forward to:

Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body;

Gum problems, increased bleeding

Osteoporosis (after several years)

I am 42. How does a woman make it through the change with her sanity intac?

My mom laughs it off and tells me that I am going through memopause....My Psychirist (spelling) said the same thing this past week! This has been going on for about 4 years now! OK, it's still real and driving me krazzzzy!
  11. Engel

Engel New Member

Don't worry ... if you lose hair on your head it will come back on your chin ... lol

So this could be from menopause NOT FMS?
  12. WhatHappen

WhatHappen New Member

With the way things are going, I will probably end up with a full beard!

I can't believe all of my symptoms are directly related to menopause. It's probably making things worse. I have never heard of disability for menopause???????