FMS and Muscle Calcification

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SquidWrath, May 14, 2010.

1. SquidWrath

SquidWrath New Member

Does anyone else with SEVERE fibromyalgia have muscle calcification in the shoulders or elsewhere? This is not a common result of fibro, and doctors are baffled. Perhaps it is from the intense spasming in the area? Thoughts?
  2. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

but glad to see u here! <3

Hope people have some ideas for this.
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Have you had any injuries to the calcified areas? Soft tissue calcifications are common in areas where there has been injury and/or any type of inflammation.

Severe fibro w/shoulder pain rings the thyroid/parathyroid axis bell. Have you had recent free T3 & free T4 thyroid hormone levels done recently, as well as PTH & phosphate levels.

Are you supplementing with Vit D & Calcium? Over supplementation of those 2 together can lead to soft tissue calcifications.

Dystrophic calcinosis is seen in some of the collagen vascular disease (autoimmune) -- have you seen a Rheumatologist?

Best wishes.
  4. SquidWrath

SquidWrath New Member

Yes, seeing Rheumatologist currently, though just beginning treatment. No injuries to that area that i can remember... Do you know how long calcifications take to form? It looks like clumps of spaghetti noodles stuck together in the xrays.

I had a thyroid test a while back that came up with some flags, then another which contradicted the other. The doctors said it was impossible and that the one that was strange must have been flawed and completely dismissed it. Maybe it wasn't flawed, perhaps?

I dont supplement calcium but neurologist recommended vitamin D which i just started taking. Should I stop this?
  5. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

re: vit. D --- the best way to tell if you need it is to have a serum level run on the storage form.

If your neurologist gave you an RX for megadose vit D -- the 25,000 - 50,000 IU per capsule stuff, I would go slow until a vit D deficiency is documented, perhaps more of a "dietary supp" in the 200 + IU range.

The vitamin D supplementation is a problem primarily in the scenario of large doses, complemented by large amts of supplemental calcium, and more so if the parathyroid gland is running a little hyper -- which is a really good reason to have a PTH level run.

If you google "soft tissue calcification" and go to the med sites, you will see that there are a host of diseases associated with it -- but sometimes it's just a fairly innocuous problem unrelated to any major disease.

Best wishes.
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

If there are discrepancies in your thyroid readings you need to have these done periodically until a pattern can be seen. I guess there could be readings that are just not physically possible or flukes. Does your doctor just do the TSH as it is a screening technique and most likely will give you an indication of whether you need further testing, even if you are the low or high end of normal. All doctors should know about the new guidelines.

Do you have any family members with Thyroid conditions? I do know hyperthyroid and Graves disease can be inherited. My grandmother, possibly my mother and two maternal aunts have had Graves disease. I have a three month period of idiopathic hyper which then turned into hypo. Not sure how much genes play a factor about hypo as a lot of people need thyroid after age 50.

Hope this helps.

7. elliespad

elliespad Member

I too have been diagnosed with Calcium Tendonitis in my shoulders. Was just talking about this with my daughter today.

I have a lengthy history with Thyroid, lots of BS treatment by mainstream Endos and now, 2 surgeries later, have NO thyroid since Nov 07. So perhaps thyroid does play into it, don't know.
  8. missdiz

missdiz New Member

Hi ~ I have had I have had pain at 8/9 for over 18 months (which was documented in a Stanford study). I have never taken vitamins and am still not an advocate of "vitamins". To make a long story...short, after my normal 6 month blod work my primary doctor mentioned that maybe I should take 1000 mg. of Vit. D for my bones. "By chance (?)" Within 2 weeks my pain went from 8/9 to about a 2. Today it was about 1. First time in 10 years. I let him know and he did a Vit. D test. I was low. He has put me on 2000 mg for 2 months and then back on the 1000. Just in case this might help someone...I am passing it on.

It is sure worth a try.