FMS and our skin.....redness; rashes; pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kim840, Aug 11, 2005.

1. kim840

kim840 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I've not been around much lately. Had an extremely hectic summer. Have enjoyed reading your posts.

I have a question. I know some of you have probably experienced some skin issues with FMS. I'd like to hear some of your experiences.

I am currently dealing with an itchiness and a red rash that comes and goes on my neck and chest. It moves around. It is presently moving to between and down below my breasts. Sometimes I get little welts that are bright red, hurt and then itch.

Doc said it is contact dermatitis due to some allergin I've come in contact with in my environment. He put me on Allegra (just started yesterday) and I use oatmeal on the area during my showers, Caladryl, and a over the counter anti-itch cream. It's been going on for at least 6 weeks. Problem is I don't know of anything new in my environment that is causing this. No new meds either. I'm curious to hear what any of you may think.

I so appreciate all of you!!

Always Hopeful,
    Marcia
  2. neen85

neen85 New Member

I recently had tests that found my body to be very acidic. I have posted about this on a post that starts out Please read:(it was posted 2-3 days ago) and the actual results of the "live blood alanysis" are typed out in total on "CFS Shocker #8"

It metions in the book I bought(see posts)that blotches,hives,skin tends to be irritated where there are heavy concentrations of sweat(like waistband,chest area etc),pimples......several other problems were isted under skin alone.

This may be something to consider. Daneen
  3. joc_07

joc_07 New Member

Hi Marcia,
    I too have the itches on my neck and chest. I will get hives/welts on my face, neck and chest. They look and feel like misquito bites. I thinks it's just another symtom on the long list of things we have to deal with. You just have to find out what works for you. I use Baby Balm from Badger products, it contains chammomile and calendula. It helps, but unfortunately they always come back.
    Good Luck,
    Jocelyn
  4. Reality45

Reality45 New Member

Dear Marcia,
    I get red, itchy spots when I first notice them. Then they get tender, red, and growing. I have tried Hydrocortisone or Benadryl creams without any response. I had a doctor, who had told me that my problems were due to menopause or mental, order Lotrisone Cream for the "lupus-type" rash. Now, I had a positive ANA, but a double-strand DNA(amore specific test for lupus then ANA) was negative. He had no answer as to why I would have "lupus-type" rash if I do not have lupus. 3 years later, a rehematologist diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. What a relief! I hate what the disease has done to my life, but I needed to know what was robbing me of most of my joy in life. Lotrisone works for me, even when the MD calls it sun keratosis and orders a cream which did not work. I am finding that most doctors are finding their way around this disease as we are----and they don't live with FMS 24/7 like we do.
    Hope you find a solution. I have experienced rashes off and on, on different parts of my body for over11 years.
    Cheers, Reality 45
  5. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I have it and under the breasts, armpits, groin, and other places, it can be yeast.

I have episodes where I start itching over my entire body and it sometimes lasts for days, Lotions and talcs and all kinds of things sometimes help but it is awful.

Dermatologists sometimes call it eczema, and FM patients do have more incidences of eczema and psoriasis, which I do have on my feet - my Dad had it everywhere, but I get it on my feet. One dermatologist treated me for foot fungus for three months, only to finally take a scraping, when I absolutely demanded it, looked at it under a scope, and admitted it was a form of psoriasis.

6. kim840

kim840 New Member

After reading your responses I see some things I need to consider.

I'm on day 3 of Allegra (no back ache) and the rash is not better, in fact is worse.

We have a pool and maybe the chlorine is an issue. Also, about the time this began I started working out a little at the YMCA and sweating. Also, use a floor cleaner that gives me a headache (so that can't be good).

I'm also going to cut back on yeast foods and see what happens. I have had candida in the past. Went one full year on the yeast free diet and thought I was clean.

All things to consider. In the meantime, I'm going CRAZY itching!

I'll look up the Baby Balm and give it a try.

I'll let you know if and when it goes away. It seems to be creeping down my mid section. There's still a redness and some itching up higher, but the rash has dropped to my upper abdomen now. It's only on my front and did not spread on my breasts, but hopped over them. LOL Thank goodness!!

Wow, ya gotta love this life don't ya????????????????

Always hopeful,
    Marcia
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

This could very well be yeast. I use an OTC jock itch cream and that works great. Especially around the breast areas and any red areas could be yeast.

Lately though I've had these football shaped small red spots on each side of my hips and I don't know what is causing it. I quit using melatonin to see if that was the problem. I haven't used the jock itch cream there yet to see if that was yeast too.

Can't hurt to try this cream, I just get hubby to buy any store brand and it all seems to work.

Good luck,
    Faye